What is best for our elderly boar

katew

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

We got a pair of female rescue sows on Friday, so it is early days, but I would love some advice.

They are Poppy and Livy, both over three, not sisters but a bonded pair and very beautiful Abyssinians. It has been a bit of a shock to the system as we have only ever adopted little ones before and are used to having to go very gently. These two are very confident and happy to be handled, which is different but lovely.

Poppy has had major surgery for big ovarian cysts. Blue Cross warned us that she had lost a lot of weight but to be honest she is around the 1000g mark and looks like a perfectly normal guinea pig size to me. We can slightly feel her spine but I am not worried. She has healed well and we will continue to monitor.

Livy however is 1.3 kg and pear shaped. Blue Cross actually scanned her in case she had ovarian cysts or was pregnant. They found out that she was just overweight. Judging by their behaviour we think they are used to being fed on demand. I know it is difficult to put a guinea pig on a diet but we are going to encourage as much grass and hay as possible.

Alberto, our boar, is 6 now (the oldest we have managed). He has always been on the small side but with a big personality. He currently weighs around 850g - he has lost a bit but we are hoping that is due to less grass over the colder months, the loss of his last companion and probably just old age. We are weighing him regularly.

We have had them side by side inside and outside and they have acknowledged each other from a distance. Because there was no obvious hostility, we decided to try lap time on Saturday evening. The girls were amazing - Livy was more adventurous than Poppy, but Poppy may still be recovering - they wandered everywhere. Livy decided to climb up my husband and groom his beard and Poppy nearly fell off the sofa twice. Alberto however sat stock still and looked confused. Eventually they found him and sat one either side - he looked so small sandwiched between them - and then they both groomed his ears. He looked like a rabbit in the headlights.

I have read up on the forum about grooming behaviour and it looks as though they are accepting of him but there are dominance overtones. With his last sow, he was definitely in charge and I am worried that this may be a bit too much for him. We will carry on trying lap time to see if he comes a bit more responsive but basically he wants to be outside eating grass and having a lot of naps in his his favourite houses - he might find it difficult if he is pushed out by the females.

Any thoughts?

Mixed sex groups are not a subject I know anything about - yet! I just wanted to offer you support. Fingers crossed he warms to them.

Hi

We got a pair of female rescue sows on Friday, so it is early days, but I would love some advice.

They are Poppy and Livy, both over three, not sisters but a bonded pair and very beautiful Abyssinians. It has been a bit of a shock to the system as we have only ever adopted little ones before and are used to having to go very gently. These two are very confident and happy to be handled, which is different but lovely.

Poppy has had major surgery for big ovarian cysts. Blue Cross warned us that she had lost a lot of weight but to be honest she is around the 1000g mark and looks like a perfectly normal guinea pig size to me. We can slightly feel her spine but I am not worried. She has healed well and we will continue to monitor.

Livy however is 1.3 kg and pear shaped. Blue Cross actually scanned her in case she had ovarian cysts or was pregnant. They found out that she was just overweight. Judging by their behaviour we think they are used to being fed on demand. I know it is difficult to put a guinea pig on a diet but we are going to encourage as much grass and hay as possible.

Alberto, our boar, is 6 now (the oldest we have managed). He has always been on the small side but with a big personality. He currently weighs around 850g - he has lost a bit but we are hoping that is due to less grass over the colder months, the loss of his last companion and probably just old age. We are weighing him regularly.

We have had them side by side inside and outside and they have acknowledged each other from a distance. Because there was no obvious hostility, we decided to try lap time on Saturday evening. The girls were amazing - Livy was more adventurous than Poppy, but Poppy may still be recovering - they wandered everywhere. Livy decided to climb up my husband and groom his beard and Poppy nearly fell off the sofa twice. Alberto however sat stock still and looked confused. Eventually they found him and sat one either side - he looked so small sandwiched between them - and then they both groomed his ears. He looked like a rabbit in the headlights.

I have read up on the forum about grooming behaviour and it looks as though they are accepting of him but there are dominance overtones. With his last sow, he was definitely in charge and I am worried that this may be a bit too much for him. We will carry on trying lap time to see if he comes a bit more responsive but basically he wants to be outside eating grass and having a lot of naps in his his favourite houses - he might find it difficult if he is pushed out by the females.

Any thoughts?

Hi

Ear licking or nibbling is the mildest form of dominance. It actually translates as 'I want you to be a member of my herd' and is as friendly an invitation as they can come from group leader. Give Alberto a couple of days with interaction through the bars and he may come round. At his age and weight he is never going to come out on top but by far not all boars do anyway. I have had several of my largest sows fall deeply in love with the smallest (neutered) boy in the room.
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

You can find tips for overweight piggies in our Weight guide. If your girls are around 2-4 years then it is hardest for them to lose weight because they are in the prime of their lives and at the natural peak of their life-long weight curve. Groups leaders will always be heavier than lower ranked piggies.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

This is the last picture I have of my little Nye and his big love Hyfryd. Nye was 6 years old and did pass away just a few days later on the evening of the Queen's funeral. Hyfryd followed him just before Christmas 2022, aged ca. 7 years. They fell in love with each other through the bars. When they finally met after Nye lost his male mate Nosgan in 2019, Nye went straight up to Hyfryd and gave her big smack on the cheek - the rest is history...
DSCN4528_edited-1.jpg

Hi

Ear licking or nibbling is the mildest form of dominance. It actually translates as 'I want you to be a member of my herd' and is as friendly as they come. Give Alberto a couple of days with interaction through the bars and he may come round. At his age and weight he is never going to come out on top but by far not all boars do anyway. I have had several of my largest sows fall deeply in love with the smallest (neutered) boy in the room.
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

You can find tips for overweight piggies in our Weight guide. If your girls are around 2-4 years then it is hardest for them to lose weight because they are in the prime of their lives and at the natural peak of their life-long weight curve. Groups leaders will always be heavier than lower ranked piggies.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

This is the last picture I have of my little Nye and his big love Hyfryd. Nye was 6 years old and did pass away just a few days later on the evening of the Queen's funeral. Hyfryd followed him just before Christmas 2022. They fell in love with each other through the bars. When they finally met after Nye lost his male mate Nosgan in 2019, Nye went straight up to Hyfryd and gave her big smack on the cheek - the rest is history...
View attachment 248557
Thank you for the reassurance. That is such a lovely story about Nye and Hyfryd. They are such funny little creatures.

I would go for it if at all possible

this is my old boar Ted who was neutered at 5 years after losing his brother Bill. This is the first sofa time with Ginger and Posh. Ted loved his ladies and liked nothing better than a good old ear lick from them both
1715631915551.webp

I would go for it if at all possible

this is my old boar Ted who was neutered at 5 years after losing his brother Bill. This is the first sofa time with Ginger and Posh. Ted loved his ladies and liked nothing better than a good old ear lick from them both
View attachment 248568
We had a really good lap time last night with all three snuggled together - I think you are right and we will go for it

Back