What exactly is a “neutral area”?

gayfurryclown

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi hi :)

In the distant future, I plan on introducing two baby sows to my current sow pair, Fen and Kinoya. They’ll be full grown adults by then (1+ years old), and I’ve heard that when introducing pups to adult piggies, an introduction isn’t needed since the pups won’t be viewed as competition within the hierarchy.

That being said, it’ll be my first time bringing new pigs into a home with pre-existing ones, so I wanna do an introduction regardless.

Here’s the thing tho:

Kino and Fen get a lot of floor time. It isn’t rare for them to spend ~12 hours roaming my room and the different hideys I’ve scattered around for them (some days they spend less time in their cage than they do outside of it).

I’m unsure if my floor is considered “neutral territory” anymore or if they’ve claimed it as their own, which would mean that introductions can’t happen there.

So I guess what I’m wondering is:
How does one identify what Guinea pigs see as their territory? What exactly is a neutral territory? Anything about it that I need to know?
I’m also open to any suggestions and feedback y’all have about introducing two baby pigs to an adult sow pair. I’ve read this thread, but if y’all have anything more, it’s much appreciated. :)

Thank you.

To correct something youve said - a proper introduction is absolutely needed for every single bonding regardless of the ages of the piggies. Younger piggies may be less likely to disrupt the existing hierarchy between your sows but the way you carry out their introduction must be done properly.
You must also prepare for any on spec bonding to not work (regardless of age) and for any new sows to live as a separate pair

Any space which forms part of their normal territory cannot be used for bonding.
So, as your sows free roam your whole room, they will view it as their space so you would do well to use a completely different room for bonding.

To correct something youve said - a proper introduction is absolutely needed for every single bonding regardless of the ages of the piggies. Younger piggies may be less likely to disrupt the existing hierarchy between your sows but the way you carry out their introduction must be done properly.
You must also prepare for any on spec bonding to not work (regardless of age) and for any new sows to live as a separate pair

Any space which forms part of their normal territory cannot be used for bonding.
So, as your sows free roam your whole room, they will view it as their space so you would do well to use a completely different room for bonding.

Hi

Guinea pigs are territorial. A neutral area means that it is a place that is not scent marked and used by just one party because the new arrival may be perceived as an intruder.

Any piggy that is dumped into a scent marked territory will feel as an intruder and be very much on their defence. This is a perfect recipe for setting up negative interaction and potentially tussles or fights.

Neutral territory can mean anywhere from just somewhere outside the cage in a run (indoors rather than outside with skittish new piggies) or at need even in a bathtub or shower base with a towel inset for grip.

Whenever I added to my larger Tribe group, which was free roaming the lounge during the day, I would do so in the kitchen.

Back