What Does This Sound Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nef

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I adopted my adult guinea pig about 4 months ago and I'm still unsure what some of his little noises mean.
Here I am scratching his lower back and he is making a low rolling/grumbling sound which I can't decifer. He makes a similar sound when he hears keys jangling so I assumed it might be discomfort, but he usually doesn't move or try to get away. Sometimes, however, he'll try to bite and get upset.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

The rumbling noise is generally a pig who is displeased... a lot of pigs dislike having their lower backs or rumps touched. He may be happier if you confine the pats to his head/shoulders/upper back area.

Thanks, everyone. I'll avoid touching his bum from now on! He's become good at giving me signs that he wants to go back in his pen- he'll nibble my fingers if he wants a wee- so I would hate to jeopardise the trust we've built. He's also getting better at letting me pick him up- he doesn't try to get away much anymore, and is mostly still and well behaved during laptime. When I scratch his chin he lifts his head up and seems content, but he doesn't move or make a sound when I scratch the ears/cheek area so I can't tell if he enjoys that.
He is a lone guinea pig because his previous owners had trouble getting him to bond with their other males and I am a student so I can't really afford to have him neutered in order to get him a female companion, not to mention space restraints. I give him lots of floor time and cuddles because I worry that he will get lonely, and he has lots of toys for enrichment. Does anyone have any tips for making sure a lone guinea pig never gets depressed? I worry about his quality of life because I love him to bits.

Are you happy to give us a rough idea of your location @Nef ? Ideally , guineas should have a companion of their own kind . I was wondering if a rescue would be able to help .

Have you looked at our rescue locator to see if there are any near you?

Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

I live in Winchester. I used the locator and found the Wheek and Squeak sanctuary, but it's such a shame that they are no longer doing their pairing service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back