What does everyone bed their guinea pigs on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am currently using dust extracted shavings with a layer of hay

(I rotate it, fresh hay goes in the top part of the cage for them to eat, then at the end of each day, what is left gets moved down to add to what is on the floor)

I'm currently thinking of changing from shavings though as they are a bit messy and I always get more on the floor than the cage or the bin when I am cleaning out) although I don't know why I am bothered about mess, my hoover is constantly throwing tantrums from all the hay I insist on hoovering up haha)

What do all of you find is the best for lining cages with?

I've bed mine on many possible options

Megazorb, shavings, fleece, hay, paper.

Eventually I've settled on shredded paper with newspaper underneath and then fleecy cosies and tunnels scattered around the cage.

They seem to be okay with it and its easy enough for me to clean whereas megazorb gave me a lot of trouble because of the way my cage is. I still have half a bag of it for backup in case I ever need to use it though.

I started off on newspaper and hay, which was fine but the newspaper got v damp and had to be changed most days.

I'm trialling disposable bed pads (the ones you use for toddlers) with a layer of newspaper underneath (just in case) and a layer of fleece on top. They have hay for bedding in the bed area.

This seems to be working quite well so far, the fleece is staying dry and the piggies seem to like it, they are sitting in the 'main' area of their hutch more.

I've been taking out the fleece and shaking off the poos (onto the garden) daily.

I'm using fleece on top of puppy pads really quick to clean, fleece stays dry it's great!

Finacard and shredded paper for Eddie and Alfie....newspaper and hay for Harry and Ron. :)
Makes cleaning out very easy at this time of year, altho i have vet bed which i may use again next spring.

Years ago when we first had pigs I just used newspaper and lots of hay, but as has already been mentioned I found I had to change the paper too often.

I've also tried fleece on top of newspaper and towels but to be honest every time I've used it (and I've had several goes!) I get completely fed up with the washing/poop scooping etc. and with so many piggies there is a lot of it!

I now use Megazorb for my indoor piggies over newspaper with lots of hay on top and for the shed piggies I use newspaper, Aubiose and hay. The only reason I don't use Aubiose indoors is that the bales are too heavy for me to carry upstairs! Both are very absorbant and I find keep smells to a minimum - you can get both from animal feed stockits/local livery yard.

Hi

I started off with newspaper, shavings, not nice.. didn't like the smell as they are in my living room with me. we were all itchy including my minnie. Changed to newspaper, pads and fleece. They loved that.. sometimes the urine smells strong. then recently bought megazorb. so its, newspaper, puppy pads, megazorb and hay... piggies didn't like all the hay. they were not amused! So now, eventually, newspaper, puppy pads, half hay and half fleece.. finallly got it right.. they went bananas! :)) they also have bunk beds with fleece, fleece to hide under and other better quality hay for eating. Oh, also tried shredded newspaper, they only like this sometimes. .their reaction is everything.. they're happy, i'm happy.. what next when they get bored with this?

I use fleece and towels and I change my top and bottom loft every 3 days and the big part every week :)

Thanks for sharing everyone, lots to think about.

I have used the sample thread (great idea!) and am waiting on a sample of aubiose, so I will see how that does. There's a company local to me that sells it and delivers it for cheap, so if it agrees with me and the piggies could be the way to go.

I like the idea of puppy pads, but I don't like the idea of fleece, because I couldn't be doing with all the washing - washing is my second least favourite chore (after doing the dishes)

Newbie & already a little drama!

We got our guinea pigs on Monday :)
They are two little girls, who are going to be outdoor piggies. But due to being let down by a supplier for the main hutch, I had to improvise to make them an indoor home. It is a wooden apex run which is intended to be used for grazing/playtime.
I have placed it in my daughter's bedroom with a waterproof cotton baby sheet, towel & fleece to protect the carpet. They are very happy :)

The main hutch has turned up and we will make it in a couple of days. I have noticed that it will need more secure latches so will need to add them before letting the piggies live out there. I am worried about the resident squirrels getting to them!
Also... it is getting cold out so I wondered what you guys use for bedding in the sleeping area? I have something called Petlife Safebed Paper Wool (used to use it for our hamsters) but this gets trampled flat so easily. Have bought a "cosy cup" bed which I am thinking about putting in the hutch as well so they don't get cold. They are only small piggies (about 9 weeks old)
Any advice greatly received :)

Anyway.... a few days ago we were looking on youtube at all the cute piggies and suggestions for boredom breakers. One idea was to use a small cardboard tube, stuff it with hay etc and the piggies would attack it, chew it etc.

Well, I used a toilet roll tube and left them to it. I went out for a few hours, and my daughter said one piggie got stuck in the tube!
I don't know how long for.... apparently the other piggie was in and out of the bedroom area but the other one wasn't, because she was stuck in the tube. But there was a lot of little squeaks and eventually my daughter found out why and quickly rescued the piggie :)

Obviously we will be be doing the tube thing again!

oops that was not supposed to be a reply, but a new post! Will try again, lol x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back