What do you think of this hay?

LondonLady

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used the hay in the pic below?
I found it in Pets at Home a couple of months ago - had never seen it before, and my two seemed to love it (though to be honest, they're enthusiastic about whatever hay I give them!)
I really liked it as I thought it had a nicer smell than any other hay I've tried. Then my PAH seemed to stop stocking it. They had some again last week but the bag I bought doesn't seem to be the same - still smells nice but full of dust. Has anyone tried it? what do you think?

20221116_154303.jpg

I can't comment on the particular brand, but I would say that even hay from the same brand does tend to vary a lot in quality and type.
Hay is sourced from various locations (unless you are dealing directly with a company who has their own fields), so some batches will always be better than others.

I am awful in the pet shop - I take ages checking each bag, and having a good old sniff too.

I used to buy that for the piggies I had years ago. It was really good and they loved it. It was quite pricey though for the size of the bag and like you say a bit dusty.

It's actually cheaper than the hay I usually buy I paid £9.99 for this bag, which works out at £5.51 per kg.
The other hays I buy are Burgess Excel which is currently £7.59 per kg, PAH long stranded Timothy hay which is £6.49 per kg and PAH long stranded Meadow hay (can't remember what it was when I last bought it but about the same)
I've tried Wilko's hay which is much cheaper but I don't like it much (though the piggies didn't complain :) )

This is what I have to buy if I'm without hay while waiting for my normal hay to arrive. My pigs are super fussy and will lose a lot of weight if I get a hay that's not considered good enough. I find it's incredibly dusty, so I try not to be without the normal hay if I can. Ultimately though, it doesn't matter as long as your pigs eat it.

I've been buying it for one of my girls who is extremely fussy with hay, I tend to shake the bag to get as much of the dust to the bottom as possible and then find it isnt too bad. Usually I can't even have timothy hay in the house or my throat and chest gets tight but I figured it was worth the gamble as the alternative was exhausting syringe feeds, and so far its not triggered my allergies to the extent a lot of other timothy hay has. It certainly goes down well with the piggies as well.

Mine love this. Yes, it's expensive but my pigs are worth it! 😍 It has whole seed heads which they always pick out first.

They also have Green Oat Hay from Friendly Estates that I buy direct, none of the pet shop stock that's been sat around going yellow.

Their main bedding hay is Nature's Own Meadow Hay, and again I buy this direct because it's so much fresher.

Back