What do you think about lining the cage with human incontinent bed pads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have for 2 weeks been using fleece on top of puppy training pads, I spoke to Co-Op chemist and they are gonna order me some human waterproof bed pads, for the incontinent.
has anybody else tried this?
It would work out really cheap, as the puppy pads are quite expensive.

I have not tried this,it could work but you would have to make sure that the piggies cannot chew them.

I use vet beds which I find very good.

THat sounds like a great idea, just check that they are not fillled with those crystals that expand as i now the pampers care mats use them, they could be dangerous i imagine if that one little pig that gets into trouble manages to get down to it and chew it,

but other than that it sounds like a fab idea

They have no crystals in them, they are the same ones on hospital beds (when you have gynae ops)
They are soft but absorbent.
They are large and cost £8.25 for 25

If they are the pads like they have in hospitals, there aren't cystals in them just different layers of "special"material...sorry I can't think how to explain them 98) 98)

None of my 9 piggies have chewed puppy training pads and I have been using them for over 2 weeks, I change them every 3 days, I daily pick out there poop (my new OCD poop picking) :D
As they all live in our bedroom, I find hay turns to compost to quickly.
I have cut down by 4 extra bags of rubbish each week, which I had to carry down 2 flights of stairs. Lucky for me our bins get emptied every week but keeping the bin bags in the flat meant my hall smelt.

well if they don't chew then i can't see any reason why you shouldn't go for it

Have you tried vet beds?,they are washable so would cut our disposing problem.

Just to say, they have now arrived, they look better quality than the puppy training pads, I still need to use 2 per cage. They are thickly padded.
I have cleaned the cages out tonight and have put these in instead of the PTP I normally have to change the PTP every 2 or 3 days left any longer than that they stank.

maryh said:
Have you tried vet beds?,they are washable so would cut our disposing problem.

the only problem I would come across is drying them, I live in a 2nd floor flat, I imagine tumble drying them would cut their life down, at the moment I am using pet fleeces from Poundland over the pads as they are cheap and easy to wash and will dry very quickly in Corey cats playroom.

These bed pads/sheets really do work, none of our 9 have tried to chew them, it is so much easier than newspaper under fleece, it keeps the fleece dryer as it whips away the wee and I can now clean out a cage in under 5 minutes and this encludes washing the base and drying it.
For me as I am disabled it really does make life easier.

I'm pretty sure that a girl in the US from guinealynx uses them O0
If you look at her threads i'm sure that's what she has :)
Great idea if you can get them at a good price O0
LOL i use towels so have a load of washing each day to do and that's just for one piggy ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just a quick update, to say I am still using these for all 9 piggies (5 cages)
it is working out cheap, very quick to clean out the cages and has stamped out all smell from the piggies.
My local Co-Op chemist orders them in for me and the price has dropped.

just an up date to say I am still using this method, none of them have chewed them, and it makes life so much quicker, has anybody else tried these?

hi, not yet but by the sounds of it i think i might give it a try. I have found even with daily clean out the newspaper can still smell. Will give them a go soon i think. xx

sarsmccabe said:
hi, not yet but by the sounds of it i think i might give it a try. I have found even with daily clean out the newspaper can still smell. Will give them a go soon i think. xx

I find that it does get a bit smelly with newspaper too.
Have you tried towels? I find them much better. I haven't tried the pads though yet.

I did think of using towels but i have enough washin with 2 small kids ;D
x

I tried towels but I find the poundland fleece dries alot quicker and folds up smaller, for storage.

sorry what I meant to say was I use towel under fleece as They absorb the pee a bit like the pads O0

What is the exact brand of those inco pads? I do not have a co-op store anywhere near me to my knowledge, and am wondering if I can get hold of them somewhere else if I knew the brand / item number (whatever).

Could you also post a picture? I am working in a Care Home myself but have only used inco pads before that are "knicker sized" - I imagine you are using something more of the size of a Kylie? (the pink cloth sheets http://www.activemobility.co.uk/shop/images/4858.jpg) I have not come across inco pads of that size before, so am very interested. :) We only use reusable cloth bed protectors, I wasnt even aware that they did disposable ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back