what do i do?

• Thread starter Thread starter bandl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bandl

How are we supposed to have lap and floor time if our pigs keep running away from us? :tickedoff: We thought they were scared because we're giants to them, and we raised their cage, but still, they wont let us touch them.

How long have you had them? Piggys can be very skittish and nervous as they are prey animals and it takes time and patience before they trust you.

I try and 'become part of the furniture' when ever I get a new addition. All I do is spend time near their cages but I do not not grab them or try and touch them unless I have to. As they realise I am not a threat they stop running away when I approach. Then I progress to hand feeding them - again whilst they are still in their cage. Then I progress to stroking and cuddles. This works well for me and mine are all very tame, come when called and are easy to catch.

Persevere - you will get there :)

It does take time, but the more calm and slowly you take it, the more they will trust you. I agree with beaney, try and be around them as much as possible but without trying to pick them up or stroke them yet. Lots of chatting to them them too.

Grass seems to be a favourite. I would suggest that as a starter for hand feeding. When you offer the food, you could hold it just out of their reach, so they have to take a step towards you. It's just a little thing, but eventually they will come all the way across the cage to your hand & feel safe being close to you and it's their choice rather than them being cornered etc. (that's if they're not already brave piggies and come up to your hand!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back