• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What could it be?

• Thread starter Thread starter gorgegal123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gorgegal123

My oh's brother has 2 guinea pigs and one of them has a growth thing on his nose. Its not bleeding or full of pus, but it is growing all the time. It looks like a flaky scab. It looks dry. He is getting plenty of vitamin C, he is perfectly happy and healthy otherwise. The scab doesn't seem to bother him. I've got 2 pics of him but they're not brilliant but maybe someone will know what it could be.

Picture042.jpg

Picture041.jpg

ETA: We don't think its mites but he has been treated for mites.

Afraid the pic is not sharp enough to tell.It looks as if the scab is on the top of the nose?.Are you sure it is not a scab over a wound?.

It could be a sebaceous cyst or something more worrying.

Have you tried soaking the area with wet cotton wool and seeing if you can lift the corner?.

What colour is the scab,if it is white it could be a fungal infection such as ringworm.

Could you post another,sharper pic,this would help.

Something else you could do is soak the area with warm olive oil and see what happens.,if it actually is a scab,it should lift off.

From the 2nd pic it looks almost like a wart.

Get back to us as soon as possible because you may need to get a vet to have a look at this..

I will post back later with a clearer pic but my oh's brother is here and his guinea pig is at his house. He says it doesn't look like a wart and that its white in parts but a range of colours rather than just white. I'll get him to take some better pics when he gets home and then I'll post them up
Thanks
Kirsty

Mites would not cause this.

From what you have just said about the growth being different colours I would advise you to get the piggy to a vet asap.This could be a malignant growth,in which case it needs to be treated straight away.Hopefully I am wrong and it is just a scab or even a fungal infection.

Try and find a vet that understands piggies .

:) Its not an exaggerated sort of Chelitis is it Mary? Most of the ones I've seen have been the white strip but I have seen a couple of bad ones that are bigger. I think you're right about a vet visit though and please report back GG :)

John (my oh's brother) is on his way home now so hopefully I should have some better pics soon. I haven't seen it myself so I can't add any comments about it really I'm only going on what he says.

Yes it could be Karen,but without seeing the piggy or a clear pic it is difficult for us to tell.I am wondering if Belinda,s green cream might be benificial.?.

Right I have some clearer pictures now, so does anyone know what it is from these 2?

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

I really think you ought to send these to Chrissie at Gorgeous Guineas to look at if you're going to use her products :) and I recommend that you do. I would get this seen to by Chrissie before it affects the eyes. :) Its definitely fungal. If you have any Daktarin Oral Gel you could put some of that on it for now or get some tomorrow from a supermarket (I think?)

Sorry to ask a stupid question but how do we get in touch with chrissie?

Do you think that this could be contagious and that he should remove Jack's brother from the cage?

:) No I wouldn't think so unless its Ringworm which I don't think it is. Even if it was Jack would probably have caught it by now and you would be upsetting them unnecessarily :) Leave them together :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back