• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What colour should wee be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
After all these posts about bladder problems i thought it would be a wise question to ask what colour healthy wee should be? 98) would be handy to know as blood in urine is not always a symptom of infections, thanks!
Emma x

I don't know really. Our piggies wee doesn't seem to have much colour at all (well, as well as i can tell from the wet bits on the newspaper!). A very pale yellow really...

Mine seem to have quite yellow wee, they don't drink very much water but they eat all of their veg and lots of hay, neither appear to be in discomfort and the wee is by no means red or orange, just really yellow, is this a problem? x

Anyone know if this is ok or is there a problem? poor little bee has been in the wars lately the last thing she needs is a bladder infection or worse :( x

I googled and found this:
'NORMAL:
Urine may be clear to cloudy in color. Calcium compounds in the urine cause this cloudiness. Normal urine is not gritty in texture. Dried urine may leave powdery white calcium compounds. Very young guinea pigs often have an orange or brown tint to their urine. Urine sometimes changes to an orange color on standing (this may be the oxidation of porphyrins in the urine).

NOT NORMAL:
Gritty compounds: may indicate sludge in the bladder. Strong smelling urine may be a sign of dehydration or infection. The gritty deposits are sometimes called sludge, which feels coarse and sandy. Powdery deposits are normal.
Blood in urine is not normal and may be due to a urinary tract infection, bladder stones, or (in females) reproductive problems like pyometra (an infection of the lining of the uterus).
Incontinence is not normal. Your guinea pig should be relatively dry. If its fur is constantly wet and/or there is an odor, be sure to have your pet checked out for a urinary tract infection or other problem.'

on this link: http://www.guinealynx.com/normal.html

so could be just your piggie happens to be standing when their wee is yellow?
I know John Anderson's wee varies form clear to milky to a pale yellow colour...possibly dependant on what he's eating too.

Thanks so much for looking that up for me, she is still only about 8-9 weeks old i think (originally thought she was older but vet reckons this age) so that could explain the colour, also she doesnt stop running round lol so she probably is standing whilst weeing most of the time! I don't use wood/paper kind of bedding, ive noticed it mostly on the plastic of her old cage which was blue and on her new little cosy thing which is light pink, from reading these links it seems more likely it's one of them because i've had them both wee on me in the past week and it's seemed normal! Only thing is that i think it does smell strong but that is a matter of opinion i supose! Not like 'knock out' strong but definate smell! I'm probably just being paranoid after reading all of the bladder problem posts, thanks for reasuring me, it's much appreciated!
Emma x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back