• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What causes URI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well as you all know Cuzzy is slowly getting over his URI and Ear infection so I just wondered what the hell caused it? Is it just one of those things or something that I have done that has brought it about? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to blame myself, just to improve if it was something like that.

My possible explanations is Megazorb, all pigs where on it for a while but it's so dusty so I now use fleece. I used some hay which was also dusty but tried to get rid of the dust before putting in the cage.

Also on the Sunday I dusted and sprayed polish and well as air freshener would that contibute in any way?

Or are Sheltie's just prone to these things as I've treated all my pigs the same and the others haven't suffered (touch wood!)

Cuzzy's cage was also on the floor under the window, we are double glassed. Could any drafts cause it, although no windows are open or doors open that end of the room. He is now on a table so he can see us all much better and currently he is playing with Emily! :).

Cuzzy had a bath on the Tuesday and fell ill on the Monday he was blowaved dry.

Thanks!

Louise
x

It could have been the sprays.They are the culprits in a lot of allergic problems,in humans as well as gps.I do not use any type of spray in my house.
These products contain chemicals and are air propelled by chemicals.When you spray you breath these in and they also enter the eyes.

Hi Mary,

Thanks for that. I did think it was too much of a coinincedence for it not to be the sprays. I was having a cleaning frenzy I don't usually bother with airfreshener as well.

Louise
x

i dont use my air conditioner in my bedroom but i do use shake and vac! should i stop? :-\

I think it would be wise to. Does anyone know what smellys are safe then? Maybe something natural? I don't spray a lot but their are times I have had to with having two little ones in the house.

Louise
x

I do not use any "smellys" because I have not found one that does not contain chemicals.I clean my piggies pens ,and around the house with vinigar.This does keep piggy smells down,and the "chip shop" odour disappears very quickly.I sometimes also use a dilute solution of Hibitane.That gives a nice fresh smell.Yes,Hibitane is a chemical but I do not spray it and use it sparingly.

Think I will contact "superwoman" Chrissie at GG to see if she can invent a natural freshener.!

I use a zilo smell killer or they are called zielonka, really hard to explain, but they REALLY work, if you google it you will find it,completely natural all you use is tap water, have a look :)

Thanks guys, think I'll hunt around as well to find any natural products. I don't like using chemicals either and I always spray polish into a duster. Thankfully my house doesn't smell and I don't notice a smell from the pigs, even mum doesn't say they smell and she would if they did!...lol

Louise
x

It could be that Cuzzy has a weakness already - some piggies are a bit more prone to URIs and other infections just as humans are.

I think those gel air fresheners are really good - Neutradol do one (think it's still sold in Superdrug stores) which is really good - lovely clean fresh smell and no risk of harming livestock or environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back