What Breed Is This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicola177

New Born Pup
Reaction score
IMG_0908.webp IMG_0903.webp IMG_0906.webp Hi,

We've just purchased a guinea pig for our daughter from a pet shop but the staff weren't sure of the breed. I think they only sell the more common breeds because it's just a high street pet shop. The other two, which were apparently from the same litter(?), looked American (short hair, how you would picture a guinea pig to look if, like me, you're unfamiliar with the different breeds) but the one we chose had longer hair.

I'm just curious to know if it is American but slightly different looking, or another breed. Is it possible for the same litter to produce different looking guinea pigs?

Can anyone tell from the pictures what breed it is?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm relatively new to guinea pigs so can't answer your question but there is a specific section on the forum where you can ask about identifying breeds

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/forums/what-is-my-breed.10/

What a beautiful looking piggy! Do you have another pig already as guinea pigs really need to be kept with at least one other?

Thank you for your replies, apologies I hadn't seen them until I got an email about the latest one!

Rubble (named by my daughter after a Paw Patrol character!) has been with us a few weeks now and he's a lovely little pig. He doesn't have a mate but I was assured that this isn't an issue for male guinea pigs as long as they get lots of care and attention.

We're still learning what his various squeaks and purrs mean but he seems happy. He's still quite shy and darts off when we try to handle him but he sits nicely when handled. He generally has a fresh snack daily and loves carrots and kale.

Here's a recent pic of him enjoying a snack and a run around :)

IMG_1584.webp

Awww Rubble is very beautiful! Look at those long locks XD I wish I were there so I could pet him!

Looks like a sheltie or sheltie cross. It's possible for litters to produce very different-looking pigs if they parents are also mixed breeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back