what bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there piggy lovers.just brought a white himalayan g pig on sunday,i used to keep and breed g pigs when i was younger and I'm sure that i used straw in living quarters anh hay in bed area.when i brought him man in pet shop said to use wood shavings in living area and straw in bed.i have since read that straw maybe to harsh for them to sleep on,ive read about vetbed,but am reluctant to use it as i dont want even more washing than i already have,i would like a safe floor covering that i can just chuck out when soiled,i reckon that shredded paper would be expensive as i use that for my hamster and it is a small bag for about £1.anyone got any ideas,it needs to be warm as he is kept outside[which i am feeling more guilty about as days go on].ive read a couple of books but they seem to contradict each other,so i thought i would ask the advice first hand from all you piggy lovers out there.thanx julie.

Hi Julie,
I use hay for bedding as straw can poke piggies in their eyes, although some people on here have said that straw from wilkinsons is very soft.
I use newspaper and megazorb with hay on top, I buy cheaper hay for the sleeping area, and I find the greenest hay possible for feeding.I've only recently used megazorb, and it is really absorbant, I am not cleaning out as often, You can buy this from horse/pet suppliers, it comes in a huge sack is around £6, so great value, a bag lasts me 6 weeks for 2 hutches. & also use it for our rats and a hamster.

hiya thanx for that we have a horse shop near us so i shall take a trip there.what is megazorb paper or what?god knows what to do with massive bag ok woodshavings i have just brought!thanx again julie.

I used to use wood shavings until I read bad reviews on it, I doubt it would hurt to use it up first but it's up to you, some people do use it.
You can check out all about megazorb on the housing page at the top there are lists of bedding you can use. I think it's great and good value for money, It can also be composted, as it is a dried wood fibre pulp, kinda feels like care fresh, but sooooo much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back