What age?

Maui & Marigold

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Most of you know that Maui passed on Thursday. Marigold and I are very lonely. I've been looking around and the only piggies around here are 3 months, but Marigold is 3 years. Will they fight? Marigold was the alpha pig with Maui too. Would she still be alpha piglet?

Character is the major factor in whether a bond will work, not age, two piggies have to like each other and want to be together for things to be successful. If you bond an older piggy with a younger piggy, then the younger will be much less likely to challenge for hierarchy but it is not a guarantee. The safest way to find a new friend for a single piggy is with the help of a rescue centre where possible.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Most of you know that Maui passed on Thursday. Marigold and I are very lonely. I've been looking around and the only piggies around here are 3 months, but Marigold is 3 years. Will they fight? Marigold was the alpha pig with Maui too. Would she still be alpha piglet?

Hi

I am very sorry for your loss.

Three months olds are 'school age' sub-teenage where the youngsters very much rely on the guidance by their elders to learn and master the niceties of social interaction and their environment. What they want to is first and foremost to belong. They are not challenging for leadership; they are looking for a leader to attach themselves to.
You may find this link here very interesting; it charts the development of guinea pigs from birth to death through all ages: Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

Please follow the advice in our step-by-step guide. Problems can arise from clashing personalities or one of the piggies being very fear-aggressive and over-reacting. There is never a guarantee for a safe bonding as personality issues will only become obvious during the bonding. Please make sure that you have got a plan B.
Here is our bonding guide: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

Our sow guide, which also contains a chapter on the post-intro dominance behaviour that is part and parcel to establish a working group in the ca. 2 weeks following an introduction. The bonding is actually only ending with the dominance phase being accomplished. It's a much more complex and slower process than most people expect.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

All the best!

Back