Wet Bums!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigsize9fot

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi- I think my Guineas are long haired guineas. I noticed one of them was wet round her bum and a bit smelly when I took her out tonight. Do they wash themselves? Don't know how she's get to that spot. Or do I need to bath them?

Most owners of long haired piggies do a short back and sides around the rear end to keep them clean!

If this is a sudden change, though, you may need to consider whether there is a possible urine infection or other cause for wetness,

Was it wetness or greasy. If it's the former cut the hair really short. That should help, what substrate is she on. If it's the latter, you again have to keep the hair short. Rub some coconut oil of swarfiga into her bottom then lather with hair shampoo, a (pet one.) Rinse It off with some tepid water, dry & finish drying with a hair dryer. On low heat, piggies don't like water so don't leave her in to long.

Thanks. It was wet and a bit matted where it's been wet then dried. We've only had them a few days so
Not sure if this is new or not.
I will try to bath her then cut the hair short.
They are on newspaper and wood shavings with puppy pads underneath the newspaper. I'm thinking of changing to fleece but I think you can only get the liners for cc cage? The sspca gave us what is obviously a shop bought cage.

Oh, new piggies, how exciting :luv:
You could just use pet wipes as a temporary measure and then give her a trim. That would save a full bum bath, particularly as she's new and you don't want to spook her.

Newspaper doesn't wick through, so it holds the moisture and stays damp. That might be part of the problem.
You can buy fleece and make your own liners - just buy cheap fleece from IKEA/Dunelm/The Range And cut it to size. I use fleece even in my pet carriers. It is very versatile. You just have to wash it a few times on a hot wash without fabric softener to get it to wick through.

Hope to see pics of your piggies.

Thanks. It was wet and a bit matted where it's been wet then dried. We've only had them a few days so
Not sure if this is new or not.
I will try to bath her then cut the hair short.
They are on newspaper and wood shavings with puppy pads underneath the newspaper. I'm thinking of changing to fleece but I think you can only get the liners for cc cage? The sspca gave us what is obviously a shop bought cage.

Hi!

Please keep long-jaired guinea pig cut short around the bum end and the back legs. If you like them to be doing piggy stuff, then you keep their overall hair shorter. If you love the long hair, then cut the underlayers on the sides shorter and the sides, so that the hairs are off the floor; that is going to make grooming easier and will minimise matting.
When cutting out mats, make sure that you have a finger between the skin and any sharp scissors, and don't pull on the skin.

Unless your piggies are very dirty, a bum bath with hand warm water should do the trick. Do not bathe piggies, especially new and freaky ones, in a sink to prevent them jumping blindly and injuring themselves. Eitehr use the bathtub, a shower or a basin on a wipeable floor.
If you want to use a long-hair piggy shampoo, Gorgeous Guineas have a range of shampoos formulated for guinea pig skin ph. The ones for long-hairs, which contains conditioner, is called posh'n'go. However, as every bath can dry out the delicate guinea pig skin, keep full-on bathing to a minimum.
How To Bathe Guinea Pigs - Including Ears & Grease Glands

If your piggies are urinating very strongly and stale smelling urine, then you need to see a vet over a cystitis or urinary tract infection, which requires an antibiotic.

As to fleece bedding: I am using anti-pil micro or polar fleece by the yard from an online shop for my pens, but also cheap acrylic bed spreads or baby blankets from Primark. You do not have to spend a fortune and you can use them for a traditional cage. Please follow the tips in the guide to make sure that your fleece is not sealed with conditioner, doesn't come out stinking from an overfilled drum and doesn't mess up the filters too much.
The underlay should be something absorbent, whether that is puppy pads, washable incontinence mattress or seat covers (which you cut to size) or plain cotton towels.
Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back