Wet Bum Hair!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, Willow's long-haired, probably sheltie, and Marble's Abyssinian/Peruvian/fluffball mix. They're both young, about 10-12 weeks so their hair is only going to get longer, and I'm prepared for the brushing and trimming if necessary when the time comes!

As of now, Willow's hair isn't that long, but her rear end hair gets wet with wee! I only notice it after she's been laying in the hay (favourite pee/poo spot) then pick her up. There's no problem with her physically peeing, and it's not like she pees then lays in it (they're on fleece and do most of pee/poos in the hay tray), and this is not old, sodden hay (ie the hays not wet), so is this just a thang with the long-haireds? It's not even overly long!

Marble doesn't have this issue as her hair is fluffy and goes off in all directions but away from her body, whereas Willow's is quite straight and 'tucks under'. Do I need to start trimming soon? Is it uncomfortable/unhealthy for her to have damp bum hair? Don't think I'd feel comfortable :))

Hello there :)
Exactly the same as mine , he's a long haired Peruvian and he was dripping in pee . Just after the weather changed I cut it right back so he's almost short coated above his bum and I also trimmed the hair around his tummy so it's not dragging on the floor , I find this prevents poo and matts starting in his hair :) I think he's more comfortable with short hair as it looks less greasy also?! Have no idea if this is part of it but it seems to be cleaner now .

Hmm, looks like I'll be investing in some grooming tools a little earlier than I anticipated - I'll get Willow to put them on her Pigmas list :))

Pets at home do a good little set , then I just use regular scissors being very careful of course :nod:

So here's THE BUM! Can't believe how much she's grown :). The pics not great but you can see a bit of darkness that is the damp bit.
IMG_2317.webp

This is a better shot of how long her hair is.
IMG_2321.webp

To add: the chaos of fluff that is Marble is attempting to sneak by in the top pic... superhero name: THE FURRY STRIPE!

So, Willow's long-haired, probably sheltie, and Marble's Abyssinian/Peruvian/fluffball mix. They're both young, about 10-12 weeks so their hair is only going to get longer, and I'm prepared for the brushing and trimming if necessary when the time comes!

As of now, Willow's hair isn't that long, but her rear end hair gets wet with wee! I only notice it after she's been laying in the hay (favourite pee/poo spot) then pick her up. There's no problem with her physically peeing, and it's not like she pees then lays in it (they're on fleece and do most of pee/poos in the hay tray), and this is not old, sodden hay (ie the hays not wet), so is this just a thang with the long-haireds? It's not even overly long!

Marble doesn't have this issue as her hair is fluffy and goes off in all directions but away from her body, whereas Willow's is quite straight and 'tucks under'. Do I need to start trimming soon? Is it uncomfortable/unhealthy for her to have damp bum hair? Don't think I'd feel comfortable :))

Yes, please start trimming; it is a normal problem for long-hairs. Get them used to it by regularly touching them there, as well as handling their toes long before you need starting to cut nails.

Thanks @Wiebke :tu:

She's quite a squirmer, but not a jumper (she's just curious about EVERYTHING!), but the only good thing about her abscess aftercare is she's very used to being handled so I'll start the trimming process soon :)

I don't think I'll cut their nails - I've always gone to my local vet centre for that (I have a fear I'll cut too short or nip them!).

My two girls have long hair too and we have the same problem. I cut them a wee bit a while back. I've been trying to comb the longest one but she hates it- squeaks like I'm trying to kill her and then has a go at the other one......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back