• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wet bum advice again please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I posted a week or so ago about my piggie having a wet bum all the time... I've noticed he's wet agian underneath again :'( should I get him checked out at the vets ?
I've noticed its only been happening since I've brought him indoors to live.. What type of treatment do you think the vet will give him ?

Straight to the vets for him love O0
and take him off fruits and veggies try to get him to eat more hay and pellets, this is what a friend was advised for her piggie :)
Good luck O0 :smitten:

Yeah go to the vets and let us no how it goes.

Good luck :smitten: :smitten:

Got him booked in 4.45 today... Just bathed his bottom end poor boy :( piggie wee is quite a strong smell isnt it ?

Good luck Karen, keep us posted. I think you are doing the right thing.

Louise
x

Piggy wee does not normally smell when it is fresh.I suspect that there is a uti going on here.A course of Septrin should sort it out.Makes sure he drinks plenty.Give him some extra water by syringe if necessary.

Sorry I don't want to sound silly, but I am curious, I have never had guinea pigs before and now have two, though not for long. This wet bun, what is it exactly? sometimes my louis has a damp bum, but that's just from sitting in his wee sometimes is is that? sorry if i sound stupid.

Never think you are stupid because you want to learn about your piggies.We were all new to piggy keeping at one time.

Gps ,especially long haired ones can and do sit in puddles of urine and get mucky bums.,this is quite normal.Even the short haired ones do it sometimes.
If the piggies are long haired,trim the hair so that it does not drag on the floor.When the bums get smelly,there is no need to bath them every time.Just wash the bottom using a mild herbal shampoo.

You can get lovely piggy safe shampoos from

gorgeousguineas.com

The symptoms of urinary infection are urine that smells even when it has just been passed,but the main symptom is that the piggy will strain and cry when urinating.

I should think your piggies just have mucky bottoms,just give them a wash off.

ah right i understand what you mean. I need to buy some shampoo and give them a bath really soon. I am pretty skint at the moment. I have spent a fortune on my guinea pigs and my hamsters and dogs at the moment. I just can't help but treat them with toys and that! As soon as i can i shall buy some shampoo and give them a nice bath :)

Thanks for the advice eveyone can't wait get him to the vets now.. His wee is really smelly I washed his bum then nipped out for an hour came back and I can smell his wee strong :(I picked him up and hes wet and smelly again ..

What should the vet give him in the way of treatment ? if its a UTI ?
Should I take his Flopy his cage mate with him ?

Def sounds like a UTI, the vet will but him on a course of Septrin...

Make sure hes getting plenty of water :)

I would take Flopy in for a checkup, just to make sure all's okay :)

PerfectPiggies said:
Def sounds like a UTI, the vet will but him on a course of Septrin...

Make sure hes getting plenty of water :)

I would take Flopy in for a checkup, just to make sure all's okay :)

What does the UTI stand or ? I don't know how clued up this vet Is I'm going to so I want to make sure I have a rough Idea what they should give him..
I will take Flopy aswell..

PerfectPiggies said:
UTI = urinary tract infection O0

http://www.guinealynx.com/uti.html - tells you what steps the vet should take :)

Thank you :) at least I know what treatment the vet should treat him with now. Well I'm learning about piggies quite quickly now, I know a fair amount on bunnies but not piggies....
I'll up date you all later, I'm feeling sick inside my stomach :( I feel awful when one of my pets are ill.

Well you are getting it taken care of, so hopefully you will get his meds and he'll be well on his way to recovery O0 :smitten:

Awwwww hopefully he is just a dirty little piggy and needs a bum wash but I am sure the vet will be the best person to tell you let us know how you get on!

Little zac's been given a good check over, the vet seemed to think it was an infection..
I've been given 1 weeks antibiotics and then we'll see how he's doing then..
Thanks all for the advice :)

Aww hope Zac is feeling better soon!

Keep us posted!

Louise
x

Aw get well soon Zac!
If your having probs with feeding him the antibiotics then search on here-there are HUNDREDS of threads on that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back