We’re having construction on the back of the house. My guinea pig gets easily scared by loud noises. What should I do?

Pig__tastic17

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Okay, so in a couple of months we’re having construction. Obviously my guinea pig hates loud noises. Do you have any idea on what to do? Also, because we have only one guinea pig, I was thinking about getting another one (or two more!). However, should I wait until after construction? Keep in mind it’ll last for about a year or so. Also, my guinea pig is about 4 or 5 years old now, so if I adopt a younger guinea pig (which I heard was recommend) then I’ll have to adopt another guinea pig for her when my current one dies, and I don’t think we’re ready for that. What should I do?

You can perhaps cover her cage and just make sure that she has some nice hides.
I would consider getting her friend sooner rather than later. I would go through a rescue so she can pick her own friend. How long has she been alone?

Most of her life. About 3 or 4 years. Thanks for the advice!

Okay, so in a couple of months we’re having construction. Obviously my guinea pig hates loud noises. Do you have any idea on what to do? Also, because we have only one guinea pig, I was thinking about getting another one (or two more!). However, should I wait until after construction? Keep in mind it’ll last for about a year or so. Also, my guinea pig is about 4 or 5 years old now, so if I adopt a younger guinea pig (which I heard was recommend) then I’ll have to adopt another guinea pig for her when my current one dies, and I don’t think we’re ready for that. What should I do?

Hi and welcome

Please move the cage to the quietest possible room, as much away from any dust and noise; at least while the builders are working. Place a towel over the cage, at least at first, and if possible have a radio with some soft music playing in the room to provide a bit of a white noise screen.

If needed (i.e. if you have a C&C cage), get a commercial second-hand rabbit cage so you can move your piggy around more easily as needed for the day, depending on what the builders are doing on that day and where the most noise is going to be; it doesn't need to be as big as the normal cage as your piggy will likely be less out and about when it is very noisy. Thankfully, many days will be on the quieter and less dusty side, so they will be able to stay in their normal cage.

Your piggy will get used to some degree to building noises but they will always be stressful, especially the really loud ones. You need to however make sure that they also protected from overheating during the summer heat.
Here are some more very simple practical tips on how to manage the coming time.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Tips for fireworks season

The answer to the other question depends to a good degree on the gender of your piggy in view of their age and you longer term ownership. It is not quite as straight forward to answer in view of circumstances.

Back