Weird Sound

Namida

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this sound from a guinea pig: Sound.m4a

I first noticed my guinea pig made this sound 2 weeks ago after he had a surgery to remove a jaw abscess (at Cat & Rabbit clinic in Northampton). The sound was gone 2 days later, and now he is doing it again. The surgery went smoothly and the guinea pig has been recovering pretty well so far. I wonder what this noise is about.

It almost sounds the same as the 'hooting' noise my girls sometimes make when they have a stuffed nose (if the hay is a bit dustier than normal or they've been burrowing or break-dancing in it for ages). A good sneeze or a cough usually puts a stop to it.

Perhaps if he has a bit of swelling in/near his nasal passage, it could be having the same effect?

I'm far from being an expert though.

Has anyone heard of this sound from a guinea pig: Sound.m4a

I first noticed my guinea pig made this sound 2 weeks ago after he had a surgery to remove a jaw abscess (at Cat & Rabbit clinic in Northampton). The sound was gone 2 days later, and now he is doing it again. The surgery went smoothly and the guinea pig has been recovering pretty well so far. I wonder what this noise is about.

Hi

He's a little congested in the nose? I can be just some hay dust or pollen from the current hay bag.

You can always hold your ear against the nose, the throat and the chest (lungs) to check where a respiratory noise is coming from.
The airways in guinea pigs are very small and narrow and they are not much in the way of mouth breathers (if they do that they are in respiratory distress). This means that even the smallest obstruction in the nose can lead to rather dramatic sound effects. Usually these disappear within a few hours, often with a good old hearty nose clearing sneeze.

Thanks Minnou & Wiebke! He isn't making this sound any more. I was more worried when it happened right after the surgery but hadn't got a chance to record that back then. I hope this post will be useful for others as well.

Thanks Minnou & Wiebke! He isn't making this sound any more. I was more worried when it happened right after the surgery but hadn't got a chance to record that back then. I hope this post will be useful for others as well.

GA can very occasionally cause some noisier breathing but this should disappear on its own within a day. it is nothing to worry about.

Back