• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

weird red bald patch

• Thread starter Thread starter Jennifer1990
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jennifer1990

my piggie marble has just had 3 babys there adorable but when i came home today i noticed that she had a red raw bald patch near her bum working its way up her bak :'(

wood this affect the babys?

what does it sound like it could be?

I have booked a appointment with the vet tomorow anyways just want to know if anyone might know what it could be to maybe put my mind at ease :'(

It sounds to me like it's just hormonal - it often happens during or after pregnancy. Really don't think you've anything to worry about. The hair will grow back very quickly (probably within a month after pups are weaned). (I'm writing this just assuming you've already checked her for mites or lice?!) Good luck - am sure that's all it is. O0

well iv never noticed any on her but i will take her to the vets anyways just to make sure she is ok hopefully it is just something silly like that :)

Almost certainly hormonal.Rub some Kamillosan cream into the sore patch,.This is very soothing and will notharm the babies if they ingest it.If the condition worsens,contact Chrissie at GG,she may have a cream or shamppo that is safe for new mums.

[email protected]

thanks i will still take her to the vet anyways just to make sure it is just hormonal i would rather be safe than sorry :)

I took marble to the vet today i was in there for 3/4 of an hour the vet just looked puzzled when he saw her as he was clueless on how that happened in 24hours because there was no hair and NO SKIN :o :'(

well it turns out he done a ultrasound to see if she had any cysts on her ovaries but everything looked OK but it could be mites as she could of gotten depressed after the birth and the mites just attacked her while she was feeling down she looks in soo much pain i feel soo sorry for her because on Monday night i had her on my knee and she was fine nothing wrong with her then yesterday that just appeared out of nowhere which puzzled everyone including the vet :(

anyway he soaked her back with this stuff to treat the mites and gave me this pink lotion to soothe her huge wound this patch that has no skin is very big and some antibiotics

he said if she gets any worse i should take her back in before my next appointment (for the mite stuff he out on her back today) as soon as possible so he can treat her again and i have to make sure she doesn't swell up as her genitals could swell. :'(

i wish she wasn't going through this especially after just giving birth it must be agony for her :( :'(

I think it would be wrong to treat for mites when if it hadnt been a week since the 1st dose, a second one so soon could mean an overdose of ivomec and thats really dangerous, I'm sure you have to leave it at least a week in between doses. Are you sure it isnt hormonal, a lot of pigs get big sores right after birth. x

I'm getting the 2nd dose in 2weeks if she gets worse then to take her back in before hand to check her over again

he said its defo not hormonal as usually when it is hormonal its just the hair that goes not the skin too

Oh right i get it sorry i thought you meant your next appointment was in a week. I hope she gets better soon, mites are relatively easy to treat even though it looks bad now. Poor little thing x

yeah i hope she gets better soon its a shame on her he said i should see an improvement soon if the treatment works i just have to bathe her in the lotion twice a day and give her the antibiotics twice a day she doesn't like it just now as it must her her when bathing her with having no skin there :'(

Oh love sending mega super duper healing wheeks for the special mummy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Poor little girl if it's not enough to have mini's and then this :o :o :-\
Paws all crossed here, loves from us all :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Come on Marble were all with you little sweetie :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

me 2 she looks in so much pain when i gave her the antibiotics and bathed her this morning she was alot calmer than last night.

Last night i got scratched too bits it was stinging for ages lol
but i would rather have the scratches she gave me than what shes going through. :(

OUCH and OOO :'( :'( :'(

doesn't sound like too much fun love :-\ :-\
You're such a good mummy you've done such a fabulous job :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: keep it up O0 O0 O0
Hugs for you sweetie and piggie kisses from Duke as well :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

How long do mites usually last when you catch them as early on as i have ?

2 Ivermectin doses will normally get rid of mites.These need to be done 10 days apart. Use one of GGs shampoos and melt in between.This should get rid of the mites in 10 days.,if caught early.Occasionally a 3rd Ivermectin dose will be needed.

Mites can reoccur after a few months because some pigs seem prone to them.,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back