• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird noise

PipandOreo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pip my 5 and a half year old female has been doing this weird gagging type of thing, the first time she did it was about a year ago and it happens on average maybe once every 2 months. I’ve researched this and nothing came up so am not sure what’s happening. I’ve hopefully tagged the video of her doing it but I couldn’t figure out how to do it properly so 🤞🏻 it worked. In the first couple of seconds you can hear like a slushing sound, whilst making sort of a gagging motion. I know guinea pigs can’t vomit but it’s the only way I can kind of describe it as kind of gagging. This goes on for about 30 seconds to a minute before she sneezes and then she’s fine.

I don’t know if it’s just food or something getting stuck, a few years ago she had a malocclusion which was then sorted out at the vets, so I’m not sure if it could be something to do with her teeth. Pip has always been a bit behind her sister Oreo in growing up, she always been smaller so maybe it something to do with genetics?

If it starts happening more often or gets worse then I will definitely take her to the vets but she‘s eating and drinking normal and it doesn’t happen very often. I was just wondering if this was something anyone had seen before.

Thank you x:nod:

Attachments

I wouldn’t wait to have her seen given it happens every two months. It’s not urgent but there’s no harm.

To make it easier you need to upload the video to somewhere like YouTube or Vimeo. Then you can post the link here.

I wouldn’t wait to have her seen given it happens every two months. It’s not urgent but there’s no harm.

To make it easier you need to upload the video to somewhere like YouTube or Vimeo. Then you can post the link here.
Thank you for replying!
Here’s the link (if it’s worked!)

Much better 🙂 I was able to see it but it was a bit of a faff.

I took George to the vets shortly after he arrived here because he occasionally made a really alarming choking noise. She had a good look and said, "Some of them are just a bit greedy!" and after 2 years, in his case, I know she was right. It happens every now and again (especially if celery is involved - it has to be sliced thinly!) although if he's stressed and racing to eat it's more likely. It's over in a moment and he's fine after.

My long hair guinea pig (who is also a little bit clumsy) sometimes gags as yours. As @Free Ranger said, is just something stuck in their throat/esophagus, they can't have real gag and this is more a reflex-coughing-regurgitating thing. So don't worry at all but If you feel better you can give him a little bit of water with a syringe!

I took George to the vets shortly after he arrived here because he occasionally made a really alarming choking noise. She had a good look and said, "Some of them are just a bit greedy!" and after 2 years, in his case, I know she was right. It happens every now and again (especially if celery is involved - it has to be sliced thinly!) although if he's stressed and racing to eat it's more likely. It's over in a moment and he's fine after.
The thing I find weird is that she’s quite a slow eater compared to her sister Oreo. It happens at really random times but as you say, it’s over in a moment and she‘s fine after! I guess its something to keep an eye on and once my vets is open for non emergencies take her in, to see what they think. 🙂

My long hair guinea pig (who is also a little bit clumsy) sometimes gags as yours. As @Free Ranger said, is just something stuck in their throat/esophagus, they can't have real gag and this is more a reflex-coughing-regurgitating thing. So don't worry at all but If you feel better you can give him a little bit of water with a syringe!
We suspected it could be some food getting stuck and that’s her way of getting it out. She seems to just sort herself out with a sneeze and then is completely normal and back to eating! I might try some water if/when it happens again. 🙂

she’s quite a slow eater compared to her sister Oreo
You have a sharp eye to notice that! If she has always been a slower eater than her sister then fine, but if this is something you have noticed recently do keep an eye on it just in case it is something like a spur growing on her tooth that makes grinding less efficient. Mine also eat at different rates so there is some natural variability.

It was the different breathing rates that worried me with my last pair. Ivy only took 60 breaths per minute... George was over 200! I thought he must be constantly freaking out! But then I googled it and saw there is quite a big range for guinea pigs.

Our vets say average resp rate is 80-120.
I agree that some piggies are greedy! Piggies can also be prone to choke (in the same way horses are - oesophageal obstruction rather than airway). I would have her checked by a cavy savvy vet; particularly to rule out any related dental issues.

She is beautiful! 🥰

You have a sharp eye to notice that! If she has always been a slower eater than her sister then fine, but if this is something you have noticed recently do keep an eye on it just in case it is something like a spur growing on her tooth that makes grinding less efficient. Mine also eat at different rates so there is some natural variability.

It was the different breathing rates that worried me with my last pair. Ivy only took 60 breaths per minute... George was over 200! I thought he must be constantly freaking out! But then I googled it and saw there is quite a big range for guinea pigs.
Haha thank you, they get hand fed a lot because if I left them Oreo would eat double the amount Pip eats!

She’s been slower all her life with both eating and growing. She had problems with her back teeth a few years ago and her symptoms were very different, she couldn’t tear lettuce and eat properly. She‘s currently eating normally but I guess it could milder teeth issues. Will definitely keep a close eye on her 🙂

Our vets say average resp rate is 80-120.
I agree that some piggies are greedy! Piggies can also be prone to choke (in the same way horses are - oesophageal obstruction rather than airway). I would have her checked by a cavy savvy vet; particularly to rule out any related dental issues.

She is beautiful! 🥰
She loves her food! I didn’t know it was in the same way as horses do. The vets I go to is very guinea pig savvy and have been very good previously but I believe they are only currently taking emergency’s appointments due to lockdown. However once things start opening up in the next couple of weeks, I will be sure the phone up. Thank you! 😊

Back