• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird noise? Or paranoid?

dakoyaki

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
We have a new member to the team (she came about a week ago) and she's been making this sound (video attached) yesterday night and tonight.

Otherwise she's eating and drinking fine, poops look good, plenty of energy.

I've lost a piggie to a URI in the past, so I'm not sure if I'm just being dramatic...

I'd like to avoid stressing her with an unnecessary vet visit, but happy to do so if it seems necessary.

I agree it is a very strange noise, and obviously just hearing it isn't enough information to be sure.
Honestly some pigs are just chatty - Ruby used to wander around her cage making odd little noises all the time.
But as she is new I personally would take her to the vet to be checked.
It's always a good idea to have new piggies vet checked anyway, just to confirm they are healthy.

I agree it is a very strange noise, and obviously just hearing it isn't enough information to be sure.
Honestly some pigs are just chatty - Ruby used to wander around her cage making odd little noises all the time.
But as she is new I personally would take her to the vet to be checked.
It's always a good idea to have new piggies vet checked anyway, just to confirm they are healthy.
Thanks for your reply!

It's so irregular and unpredictable when she'll do it that it honestly might just be chatter... I did read online that the sound could also be "I'm not a threat" to the others in the cage.

I'll take her to the vet tomorrow to be 100% (but also yes, good point on just doing it to confirm she's healthy).

It’s hard to be sure, so I think you’re doing the right thing getting it checked out at the vet. It does sound a bit like irritation in the airways so definitely the vet is the right place to go. Good luck.

It sounds somewhat like a slightly blocked nose to me or a very low level pain issue? I would recommend a vet check but they may not find anything.

Since our forum is entirely run by voluntary member donations and the member generated mod team doing their work for free in in their own free time, we do not have a video upload facility. We are not part of social media.
You will have to upload your video on a public setting elsewhere that doesn't require a membership log-in and then copy it across.

It doesn't sound like any UTI I've had (and there's been a few!) UTI is invariably pain when peeing and typically piggy will freeze and 'chirp' while they go (often with wide eyes) - then they'll move away and you can see the wet patch. Sometimes there is a blood tint. And it's not unusual to see a wet back end as they drip pee when they get inflamed. She looks a cheerful little soul otherwise. They never 'perform' at the vets so it might be an idea to take your video along so the vet can see for themselves before they examine her? Good luck little lady x

Just an update. Took her to the vet and they said she seems perfectly healthy. They said it could be some allergy, be making that sound to signal that she's not a threat to the other pigs, or just be making a noise because she wants to.

Will monitor and take her back if she shows any other warning signs or symptoms and will take her back in a week for a follow up check up just to be safe.

It doesn't sound like any UTI I've had (and there's been a few!) UTI is invariably pain when peeing and typically piggy will freeze and 'chirp' while they go (often with wide eyes) - then they'll move away and you can see the wet patch. Sometimes there is a blood tint. And it's not unusual to see a wet back end as they drip pee when they get inflamed. She looks a cheerful little soul otherwise. They never 'perform' at the vets so it might be an idea to take your video along so the vet can see for themselves before they examine her? Good luck little lady x
Yes! The video saved us haha.

I was more worried about it being a URI and it being a sign of a breathing problem. All seems fine there too though!

Both of my piggies have upper respiratory infections atm and they make this exact sound, in your video she also does the louder 'huffing' sound like she's blowing her nose, a mini sneeze and then the noise goes away, mine do it too and it comes and goes intermittently. I'm glad you got her checked out and she's OK though, she likely just had a bit of hay dust stuck up there or something that she cleared herself. Cute little piggie!

Ooh I'm sorry, of course you said URI. It was after midnight here when I saw the post so I was a bit tired and got mixed up!

I had a piggy (Caspy) who did that on and off all his life (5 years). He had a very severe URI infection as a baby which damaged his tubes. He would do it after eating/being in the hay, the vet and I assumed if he inhaled some hay dust he made a noise until he sneezed it out.
You did the right thing in getting her checked out as it can also indicate a URI.

Back