Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, my two are now approx 11 weeks old. I've been weighing them roughly weekly (Willow more so because of her abscess and op). They're different breeds - Willow's poss. sheltie mix, Marble is Aby/Abruvian type. First question - can/do different breeds weigh more/less?

I'm not overly concerned as they both eat well, wee/poop normally and are active. I understand they should be gaining 20-40g weekly but it seems Willow's doing less than this and Marble more. I've noticed this today when I weighed as they've always been close in weight but now Marble's a real chunk! Should I be concerned that a) Willow is underweight (she is putting weight on, except straight after the op where she lost a bit but has since put on) or b) Marble is overweight? Or should I just stop analysing as they're both healthy :))

Here's dates/weights in grams:

Date - Willow - Marble
29/10 - 327 - 324
02/11 - 360 - 359
04/11 - (Willow's op)
05/11 - 343 - 371
06/11 - 351 -
07/11 - 373 -
10/11 - 388 - 397
12/11 - 403 -
18/11 - 411 - 473

As long as their diet is balanced and they have enough space to run around then you don't need to worry too much.
You are just looking for a general overall trend in the right direction at this point.
Plus, just like humans, some guinea pigs will be bigger than others.
I weighed weekly and found a lot of variation in the weight gain between my 4.
But now the older 3 are settling out at around 1 kilo each, and have almost stopped gaining.
Eddi looks set to be the smallest, and Lucy the biggest, but their final weights will all be in a healthy range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back