Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garden

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How much should baby pigs weigh? Just weighted mine one is 340g and the other is 270g. The active and fast but tiny

thank you debbie

How much should baby pigs weigh? Just weighted mine one is 340g and the other is 270g. The active and fast but tiny

thank you debbie

Weights in guinea pigs can vary widely; the birth weight alone can vary from 40g to 140g - that is more than three times the size! Things don't get any easier as they grow. The adult weight can vary between 800g-1500g and still be considered healthy...
As long as your two babies are lively and growing steadily each week, they are fine. They reach adulthood only at around 15 months, so there is a lot of time for each to reach their optimal genetically determined weight.
You may find these two guides here helpful:
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

thank you for your reply I was worried that they are too small. Only weighed them today as wanted to give them a few days to settle in. They are eating tons of timothy hay and some fruit and veg plus a little nuggets, they are not eating a lot of nuggets. they are funny the dart in when they see us, in a few months they will be shouting for food. want to build a c and c cage when they are a bit older. Have a large hutch outside for spring summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back