Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I just weighed my pigs and I just want to make sure they are a good weight, they look in good condition they are not skinny or fat or anything. They are only one year old and this is the first time I have weighed them. Here is their weight:
Cookie: 675g
Beano: 725g

What do you think?

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 5
I should think that's a healthy weight. Mine are around the same weight and they're around 8 months now.

All pigs even siblings weights can vary considerably. Some piggies don't reach their full adult weight until around 12-15 months. Normally boars when fully grown can weigh anything between 800-1400 gms or even heavier sometimes. The thing about weight is knowing your piggies weight but not getting fixated about it. It's all about trends. That's why we weigh our piggies weekly so that we can get a feel for them and can usually tell before weighing them during lap time if any have lost any substantial amount of weight. If you are weighing your piggies it's best to do it at the same time of the week as there can be as much as 30 gms difference between a full and an empty bladder. If you notice a weight loss of greater than 60-70gms this should ring alarm bells, then a daily weight check is advisable, any more weight loss then a trip to the vet is required. Piggies are very good at hiding illness and a dramatic weight loss is a very good indicator that something isn't quite right.

DSC_0213.webp

Tim getting his weekly weight check..

Lisa & Ali..

I just weighed my year old boy Murray so I can give him his routine anti parasite drops I was amazed he's a whopping 1600 grams, he is a big boy always bigger than Andy was . Not weighed him because he's healthy eating, running round so I thought I wouldn't need too. Might keep a closer eye on him make sure he doesn't get bigger. Captain jack my new 4 month old is 830 grams seems smaller tho proberbly all the hair (he's a texel):nod: X

Wow, 1600 is a lot. Our boars were around 1200 at their heaviest, they usually stay between 1100 and 1200. Our lightest is our girlie Cotton who eats well, but loses weight easily. With her, we try to make sure she doesn't get under 900 g becausa that's when she begins to look a bit too skinny. She gets a few extra bites which help her to put on weight. We usually weigh ours weekly so we will notice immediately if there are any bigger changes or sudden weight loss.

All pigs even siblings weights can vary considerably. Some piggies don't reach their full adult weight until around 12-15 months. Normally boars when fully grown can weigh anything between 800-1400 gms or even heavier sometimes. The thing about weight is knowing your piggies weight but not getting fixated about it. It's all about trends. That's why we weigh our piggies weekly so that we can get a feel for them and can usually tell before weighing them during lap time if any have lost any substantial amount of weight. If you are weighing your piggies it's best to do it at the same time of the week as there can be as much as 30 gms difference between a full and an empty bladder. If you notice a weight loss of greater than 60-70gms this should ring alarm bells, then a daily weight check is advisable, any more weight loss then a trip to the vet is required. Piggies are very good at hiding illness and a dramatic weight loss is a very good indicator that something isn't quite right.

View attachment 8856

Tim getting his weekly weight check..

Lisa & Ali..
I love the pigture he is super cute in his scales :)

Wow, 1600 is a lot. Our boars were around 1200 at their heaviest, they usually stay between 1100 and 1200. Our lightest is our girlie Cotton who eats well, but loses weight easily. With her, we try to make sure she doesn't get under 900 g becausa that's when she begins to look a bit too skinny. She gets a few extra bites which help her to put on weight. We usually weigh ours weekly so we will notice immediately if there are any bigger changes or sudden weight loss.
Yep I know but he's running around not at all fat got his piggy shape and still pop corns around like he was a baby. The vet said he was perfectly healthy so I'm not worrying too much. Maybe he's just a bigger than average piggy:clap:Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back