• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight Watchers for Patch!

• Thread starter Thread starter lilgalnatalie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lilgalnatalie

Hello, Patch is eating constantly and she has put on alot of weight! ? Does anyone know of a way of helping piggies keep a healthy weight without straving her? (joke) the food is completely the same food i use on every piggy but shes just becoming a lil fatty!

34qk8bl.jpg

Fatty Patch.

2dj5oao.jpg

43cr7o0.jpg

And the belly...

How much does she weigh? I'm not sure..I thought you weren't meant to do diets, as long as the diet was healthy etc..what do you feed her? :)

I do not think there is any need to worry about Patch,she does not look overweight to me.Pigs can weigh nearly 4 lbs,I have 2 boars who weigh in at 3lb 14 oz.As long as they get plenty of excercise it is better for them to be a good weight because sick pigs lose condition very quickly.You could cut back a bit on the dry mix and replace with herbs,grass and veggies which should make up 80% of the diet anyway,plus,loads of hay. Mary

I agree with Mary -she doesn't look that big at all. Compared to my girls she looks fine!

Now my girls, they are fatties :)

Just a precautionary thought here.I have looked at the last photo again and she appears to be bulgy on the left side?,how old is she and is there any hair loss along the sides or on the tummy?.I am wondering here anout an ovarian cyst,these can cause a mandolin shape.It is probably just the way she is sitting in the photo. Mary

guineapigvet said:
Just a precautionary thought here.I have looked at the last photo again and she appears to be bulgy on the left side?,how old is she and is there any hair loss along the sides or on the tummy?.I am wondering here anout an ovarian cyst,these can cause a mandolin shape.It is probably just the way she is sitting in the photo. Mary

I was going to say similar! I have heard that older sows can go pear shaped without the cysts though. I just thought clover was fat (a couple of years ago) but when i took the girls for a general check up, the vet said about her shape and had her scanned.. and she had rather large cysts!

i dont think its normally just a fatty pear shape. i think i might have to take her to the vets

The worst advice i took from the people that used to sell me our pellets was to put Sully on a diet, he then did not have as much fat storage once he got sick.
I wish i'd never EVER had listened to this advice, i'm sure he would've been better off maybe even not had all his problems if i hadn't put him on a diet >:(
Sorry to get on my soap box but i'd never put a piggie on a diet just cause of my experience. Love your piggie as she is i think she's just beautiful :smitten:

You could take her to a vet just to confirm ovarian cyst but I do not recommend hysterectomy,as it is major surgery,and even done by a competant vet,it is still very risky.The cysts are not painful and sows can live a long time with them.I have a 7 year old who has large cysts and apart from a few bald patches which are caused by hormonal changes,she is fine.If the cysts are small it might be worth trying an injection of gonadatrophin.This will sometimes shrink small cysts..This treatment has been used for some years wwith very good results.on ferrets.It does not seem to be so effec tive on piggies,but is worth a try. Mary

i dont think she is fat, my guinea pig was about the same size and its a good job he had a bit of meat on him because hes bin poorly and lost quite a lot of weight!!
also if she is having sunflower seads in her food these are very fatty for guinea pigs and can make them put on weight, alsooo guinea pigs can choke on the shells. i would take her 2 the vets tho just 2 be on the safe side

I also think she looks asymmetrical. This is what Scarby looked like when he had CA liver. I would get her checked out ASAP.

My vet, Roger, says that it is healthier for a guinea to be fatter rather than thinner and, after what I went through with Doctor, i know that to be true.

This thread has made one of our piggies feel much better...He feels quite slim now at 3lb 7ozs!

my piiggie just been to vets and was told she is breathing funny because she is fat going to weigh her and i'll get back to you. how can i put her on a diet but not the other piggie?

cheers

karen

goldilocks said:
my piiggie just been to vets and was told she is breathing funny because she is fat going to weigh her and i'll get back to you. how can i put her on a diet but not the other piggie?

cheers

karen

How heavy is she? It's unusual for a vet to say 'put her on a diet'?

If she realy does need a diet then the vet went through eating habits and gave you some advise?

Now you mention it Lucinda - I think I have to agree with you

Maybe a little trip to the vets could be in order

i regret writing the post, not because of what people have said, you have all been very helpful! but the sides have disappeard, i dont know why, she feel the same weigt e and looks alot longer. I mean biscuit is alot fatter than her! oh yes, bath time tonight!

Stating the obvious, there's no chance she's pregnant is there?

hi my piggie not preganent and didnt get any advice apart from more exercise, shes the dominant pig so i think she is just being greeedy.

she weighs 3lb or 400g is that ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back