Weight of veggies

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I have two new boys who are settling in well. I posted before about the dominance behaviours but these have now calmed down a lot, as they have got used to their new home.

I think I have been guilty of over feeding veggies, as I have interpreted ' a cupful' as being quite a large cup, whereas I think I remember a proper US cup measure is actually pretty small. They eat fresh grass on top of their veggies and of course a huge amount of hay. They don't get pellets regularly, just as a treat, as I'd prefer them to eat more hay and I had a low calcium piggy who recently died, so pellets were not recommended.

So, I was wondering whether the correct amount of veggies is listed as a weight anywhere, rather than a volume, so I can start my new boys on the correct amount.

Yes, the guide says 30-50g. But of course, the differing density of veggies is going to be a factor when measuring by weight.

Mine obviously have unlimited hay. They get pellets about three times a week and in summer are on grass pretty much all day every day (heat dependent). I know mine get a little more than the one cup of veg per day and I also know that Debbie at TEAS says feeding a wetter, higher veg diet is not a bad thing.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Yes, the guide says 30-50g. But of course, the differing density of veggies is going to be a factor when measuring by weight.

Mine obviously have unlimited hay. They get pellets about three times a week and in summer are on grass pretty much all day every day (heat dependent). I know mine get a little more than the one cup of veg per day and I also know that Debbie at TEAS says feeding a wetter, higher veg diet is not a bad thing.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Ah, great, at least that will give me an idea of what to aim for. I give the pigs grass every day or they are out on the lawn in their run and the vet said that was fine. Thanks for your reply.

Our vet recommends feeding more grass and veg, as he says a wetter diet really helps avoid urinary tract issues and the formation of bladder stones. I feed the piggies at TEAS a lot of veg!

Check out this thread Feeding the guinea pigs at TEA
That's interesting. I forage grass on my daily walks and this year there was hardly anytime when grass wasn't available ( I'm very knowledgeable about where the best grass is at different times of the year).

Back