• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight loss

Alvinsfam

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!

I recently posted a thread here, but just have another quick question.

Recently, my male piggy (Alvin) lost his female friend (she was almost 6 and he is almost 2). They definitely had a close friendship and he was very clearly missing the companionship of another guinea pig friend.

My male piggy is naturally very playful, but unfortunately there was quite an age difference and so he remained more sedentary than I think he would have liked (although we frequently brought him out for floor time, which he loves).

We did make the decision to get him a new baby girl friend- they bonded immediately and he is clearly very happy.

With that being said, he has started dropping weight. On 8/21 he was 1135g and today he is 1087g.

There has been a lot of change in his life recently and I’ve been in contact with his vet (who isn’t immediately concerned about the weight loss). I’ve also read through the guides on here, which have eased some of my anxiety.

I should also mention that around a month ago he had a yearly wellness check where everything checked out with no issues (including things like teeth, which looked great).

Other than what I’m seeing on the scale, he is eating, playing like crazy, popcorning, poops look great, etc.

He is a smaller male guinea pig (my female was always bigger than him in weight before she passed), although he was always a bit on the chunky side.

As of right now, he honestly seems to be a good size. I don’t feel any ribs/bones. He definitely still has some rolls. It just seems like a lot of weight to drop in a short period of time.

The most weight he dropped in one day was 25g (the day we put his new friend in his cage with him going from 1128g to 1125g). Since then, he has lost about 8g per day with fluctuations.

Do you guys think this is normal given all of the changes (losing a friend, gaining a new friend, increased exercise/activity level)? We also had a couple days of having to feed pellets separately (as advised by our vet due to the calcium levels in baby pellets not being suitable for adult piggies). We have since worked this out in a way that works for him, so hoping that will be one less change for him to adjust to.

Thank you all in advance, I think I may just need to ease up a bit as I might be in the “over worrying” category here.

Attaching a cute photo of Alvin and his new friend eating together (she likes to be a big girl and hop into the hay bowl lol).

Attachments

• IMG_4437.webp
    IMG_4437.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 1
Also I’m not sure if these size references help. The first photo is when we first introduced Alvin to his new friend and the second photo is currently

Attachments

• IMG_4426.webp
    IMG_4426.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4441.webp
    IMG_4441.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 1
50g is the point at which you switch to monitoring and potentially stepping in but it may just be the changes in his life which are causing it and he now be moving a lot more. I would monitor him daily for a while and see what happens.

Would you say his heft was previously putting him overweight?

Regarding the pellets - I don’t know what you are feeding, but adult pellets are absolutely fine for baby piggies from birth. There is no need to separate them to feed pellets - one tablespoon per pig per day.
A baby under four months can actually have a little more of the adult pellets provided the pellets don’t contain alfalfa, but giving one tablespoon of adult pellets to a baby is absolutely fine

50g is the point at which you switch to monitoring and potentially stepping in but it may just be the changes in his life which are causing it and he now be moving a lot more. I would monitor him daily for a while and see what happens.

Would you say his heft was previously putting him overweight?

Regarding the pellets - I don’t know what you are feeding, but adult pellets are absolutely fine for baby piggies from birth. There is no need to separate them to feed pellets - one tablespoon per pig per day.
A baby under four months can actually have a little more of the adult pellets provided the pellets don’t contain alfalfa, but giving one tablespoon of adult pellets to a baby is absolutely fine

When we last had him to the vet, she didn’t have him as overweight (we really tried to supplement his lack of play with his friend by getting him out pretty frequently for playtime outside of his cage). Now, he is getting a lot of frequent play and activity both in and out of his cage.

He’s very much a busy body and is loving the company of his new friend, as well as the interaction from his humans.

And that is exactly what we’re doing :) it was too stressful on him I think to do the separate feedings and he wasn’t eating many pellets for about two days until I spoke with the vet tonight and made that adjustment. Now he is eating them normally again.

He still gets unlimited Timothy hay and daily veg (which he’s eating fine, just a bit distracted at times when his friend wants to play, but he always goes back to eating).

I would monitor him but if he is definitely more active now then it is likely the change in activity level if he has otherwise got a clean bill of health

Sorry I’ve just realised I read it and replied about pellets the reverse way round but you got what I meant!

You are right the calcium in baby pellets is too high for adult piggies but equally baby piggies do not need baby pellets either. Baby pellets are just a gimmick for sales.

Back