• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight loss?

Lotteluvspigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just doing some weighing today and realized one of my guinea pigs (tiny) has lost a bit of weight since I last checked. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not so I'll write down the numbers below

6/17/24 - 1065g (sometime before their dinner I forgot)
8/4/24 - 1111 (1:12pm)
8/16/24 - 1059 (6:55pm)

I'm aware I missed a lot of weighing😭 but oh well. Anyways she's lost around 48g since early August but only 6g from June so I'm not sure if it's just cause the time of day or not but I'm not sure if this is substantial weight loss, I'm a little paranoid lol. Any advice would be appreciated

The April weight is too long ago with too big of a gap to be very useful. The weight loss between 4 to 16 August is 52g. I would suggest you make sure you weigh her each morning (as that is when it’s most accurate) and prepare to step in if she has lost more weight this morning and tomorrow morning. 50g of loss is the point at which you need to switch to daily weight checks, syringe feeding and prepare to see a vet

I hope she is ok

Back