Weight Loss Reassurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyAnn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today was the first weigh-in since bringing my adopted boars home. I weighed them at the shelter on the day I collected them, and used my same scales from home to make sure it was a consistent reading for subsequent weeks.

Ralph has gained 11g (no surprise, he is the dominant, and very greedy!)
Albie has lost 32g

I've read the relevant threads on here and it says 30g can be the difference between full/empty bladder etc, so perhaps Albie's loss is just that?

I have been hand feeding fresh veggies every day to make sure both get an equal share. Albie is showing healthy interest in food, has access to unlimited hay and weighed out portion of pellets daily (they never finish their pellets anyway), and poos all look ok. There are some calcium-y wees so I am reducing readigrass to a sprinkling a couple of times a week, and only feeding low calcium fresh veg.

So I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that Albie's weight loss is within normal parameters for a first week at home?

(I should just trust myself in this..)
Of course if I find that next week there's another 30g loss on top of this I will see about taking him to a vet for a checkup.

Today was the first weigh-in since bringing my adopted boars home. I weighed them at the shelter on the day I collected them, and used my same scales from home to make sure it was a consistent reading for subsequent weeks.

Ralph has gained 11g (no surprise, he is the dominant, and very greedy!)
Albie has lost 32g

I've read the relevant threads on here and it says 30g can be the difference between full/empty bladder etc, so perhaps Albie's loss is just that?

I have been hand feeding fresh veggies every day to make sure both get an equal share. Albie is showing healthy interest in food, has access to unlimited hay and weighed out portion of pellets daily (they never finish their pellets anyway), and poos all look ok. There are some calcium-y wees so I am reducing readigrass to a sprinkling a couple of times a week, and only feeding low calcium fresh veg.

So I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that Albie's weight loss is within normal parameters for a first week at home?

(I should just trust myself in this..)
Of course if I find that next week there's another 30g loss on top of this I will see about taking him to a vet for a checkup.

Hi! Please don't worry, especially not in the first few weeks until a piggy has settled in. What is their age and general weight?

I would recommend to either weigh before their breakfast or dinner, as you can be most sure that they have an empty tummy and bladder, so weights are more comparable, especially if you are switching to a daily weigh-in with an ill/suspect piggy when the weight loss is around 50g, especially in a short amount of time.

Hi! Please don't worry, especially not in the first few weeks until a piggy has settled in. What is their age and general weight?

I would recommend to either weigh before their breakfast or dinner, as you can be most sure that they have an empty tummy and bladder, so weights are more comparable, especially if you are switching to a daily weigh-in with an ill/suspect piggy when the weight loss is around 50g, especially in a short amount of time.

Thanks @Wiebke

They are both approx 3 years old. Ralph weighs 1235g (ish, he was super wriggly) and Albie 1088g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back