Weight loss - Only eating pellets

Wren

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello - I am new here. I have been reading through the "posted" important note threats slowly to learn some information, but I am worried and hoping to get a bit more guidance. A few months ago I "acquired" two guinea pigs. HAzel and Peanut. They were returned to the pet store by owners that could not care for them. I went in to pick up dog food and started talking to the young associate and she told me she was taking them as "snake food" the next day if someone did not take them home. So, me being who I am, decided to take them.

I have been feeding them Timothy Hay and orchard grass, a mix of fresh veggies like dark leafy veggies, carrots, and such, and sometimes pellets. I live in Alaska and supply can sometimes be unpredictable. I recently, about a week and a half to two weeks ago had to get different pellets. They didn't have what I normally get. This mix has pellets, corn, and other died things mixed in. Its called "Kaytee Gourmet Guinea Pig Food".

Anyway, the girls loved it but since they have been eating it they have almost stopped eating their hay all together and the last day or so I noticed that Hazel, the smaller of the two has lost a good big of weight and Peanut as lost also, but not as much. I am worried that there is something with this food that is making them not eat everything they need?

There are no vets that see guinea pigs in my area, so I have no option to take them to a vet to make sure they are alright. The only vet that saw them closed right after I got them. And their behavior seems fine otherwise - just the weird new food habit, and not weight loss.

I have other questions about how to cut their nails and what I can do about them seeming to fight sometimes - but that is all secondary for now.

Any help that you can give would be great. Thank you so very much.

Welcome to the forum

The kind of food you are now giving is not recommended - it is called a muesli mix (it is not a plain pellet). It contains ingredients which are not healthy for them, full of sugars and too low in fibre. The other issue is that it causes selective feeding - it causes them to pick out the sweetest, unhealthiest bits and then lack the things they actually need. If they fill up on it, then their hay intake can reduce and then you see weight loss and health issues.

Most importantly though, hay is the biggest part of the diet and it is that which they need to eat most of each day.
Veg is one cup per pig per day. Make sure carrots are not fed often - they are too high in sugar and should be considered a very occasional treat in very small amounts.
While plain pellets are better than muesli mixes, whichever one you give, it should only be one tablespoon per pig per day. It should never be something they have constant access - it is the one part od their diet which can be completely removed.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Pellets Or Muesli / Dry Mix?

You need to make sure they have good access to plenty of hay. I would stop giving them the muesli mix altogether. Switch to daily weight checks so you can be sure they start eat more hay.
How much weight has each piggy lost? If they have lost 50 grams or more then you may need to step in and syringe feed them.

Weight - Monitoring and Management

In terms of the nails - this guide may help you

Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails

‘Fighting’. Are they actually having a full on fight or are you seeing just displays of dominance. Dominance is very normal and not of concern.
A full on fight means their bond has broken down and they must be immediately and permanently separated

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
I'm assuming they are sows - Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

I think Hazel has lost a lot - it is a visible change - but I’m not sure how much she weighted before. I assume they are both females- honestly I only say that because that’s what I was told.

I don’t think they are really “fighting” they will chase each other and sometimes one will not let the other in the same space, and they use to “cuddle” more.

The links you provided are very helpful. I will stop giving them those pellets immediately. And vary their veggie diet a little also. I think maybe I was giving them too much of some things that have too much sugar.

I think Hazel has lost a lot - it is a visible change - but I’m not sure how much she weighted before. I assume they are both females- honestly I only say that because that’s what I was told.

I don’t think they are really “fighting” they will chase each other and sometimes one will not let the other in the same space, and they use to “cuddle” more.

The links you provided are very helpful. I will stop giving them those pellets immediately. And vary their veggie diet a little also. I think maybe I was giving them too much of some things that have too much sugar.

Do get into the habit of weighing them regularly. It should be done weekly as routine but daily when there are health concerns. If she has lost enough weight that you can tell physically, then you must weigh her daily and start to syringe feed her. It means her hay intake has dropped significantly. 50g weight loss means you go on alert, 100g in a matter of days is an emergency.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Do check their sexes for yourself.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/illustrated-sexing-guide-for-all-ages.156297/

Chasing is dominance.
Make sure your cage is big enough - that is ideally 150x60cm for two sows (but 120x60cm as a minimum).
Make sure there are enough resources in the cage - two bottles, two hay piles, two hides (ideally with two exits in each hide).
It’s normal for them to cuddle when they are new, scared and seeking comfort from each other but as they settle in you will find they don’t share space much (it’s normal).

Oh my gosh - I feel a bit overwhelmed right now - I had no idea it was such a serious thing. I feel like a terrible pet parent....

I am sorry if this seems like a stupid question. but even after reading the links you gave on recovery formula and feeding I'm not exactly sure - I looking specifically for a recovery formula I can buy at the pet store? And if I am unable to find that what find of pellet am I mixing with water? Any normal hay pellet will do I guess?

That is very helpful - thank you. I will start this as soon as I get home from work today. I'm so worried about them.....

Don't be worried - you've noticed something is different and you're addressing it. Sometimes things just happen and we have to catch up. You've already saved them and made their little lives so much better x

Oh my gosh - I feel a bit overwhelmed right now - I had no idea it was such a serious thing. I feel like a terrible pet parent....

I am sorry if this seems like a stupid question. but even after reading the links you gave on recovery formula and feeding I'm not exactly sure - I looking specifically for a recovery formula I can buy at the pet store? And if I am unable to find that what find of pellet am I mixing with water? Any normal hay pellet will do I guess?
You will learn loads here, but don't be too hard on yourself.
Many of us are doing our best, and later learn it wasn't as wonderful as we thought (me included).
The whole point of the Forum is to support you and your piggies - only when we know better can we do better.
Just being so concerned about things already shows what a great owner you are.

I found some Oxbow pellets and mixed those with warm water and attempted to hand feed Hazel last night. It was rather stressful for both of us but I got some of the food into her instead of just all over both of us.

I tried again this morning before coming to work and I got a little more into her. Both girls were squeaking loudly this morning. Usually this is their “good morning, feed me” routine. They each have a dish with a little of the oxbow pellets and their hay bins are full. They didn’t seem pleased with this but hopefully they will get the hint and eat some hay during the day.

-fingers crossed-

When we know better, we do better. I used to keep single guinea pigs in small cages and feed them all the wrong things. I loved them dearly, but I just didn't know!

You saved these piggies' lives and are working your hardest to give them a good home. Give yourself a break. They wouldn't be the first pigs (or other creatures!) to get hooked on junk food and neglect the stuff that's good for them. Of course they will be unhappy that they've been put on a diet, but you're doing your best for them!

Back