Weight Gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit worried about Coconut. This past week she was 800g, and this week she is 855g. Should I take her to the vet? Is it too much of a weight gain? Thank you so much for helping me, everyone! I really appreciate it.

They've already had their vet checkup, the very confirmed that they are both girls. Coconut is 3 months and 3 days. I've only had her for 3 weeks. I got them from very kind @Caviequeen, so no pet store!

Ok thanks, caviequeen. I just noticed she isn't eating her green or red bell peppers, her carrots and her cucumber. The only thing she ate this evening were her orange bell peppers and pellets and hay...:(

Yes, she does. :no: But she is still eating her orange bell peppers, that's the strange thing!

Sometimes young growing piggies hitting a generous diet can put on that amount of weight a few weeks into coming into a new home when the nutrients filter down into the body. Like humans, piggies don't grow evenly, they grow in spurts.

With your girls coming from @Caviequeen, I can preclude a pregnancy.

PS: pregnant sows only have a large weight gain during the last 3 weeks of a ca. 9-10 week pregnancy. By that time you generally see other signs (like moving baby balls) as well.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, especially if next week is normal. It is not at all an unusual phenomenon. Only worry if the weight gain is even higher next week and if Coco is getting decidedly fat around her belly. She would be awfully young for a pregnancy, though!

That is a very average weekly weight gain for a young non-pregnant guinea pig. :)

Sorry I keep dragging you into this really old thread, @Wiebke. Coconut is now a whopping 900g! She was 875g last week. Is it ok? Also, Hazelnut suddenly spurted! I think she was trying to catch up to Coconut, I don't know! :P Hazelnut was 702g last week, and this week she is 758g. Is that a problem?

How old are your girls now and how long have you had them for, please? I see so many different threads that I cannot remember every details weeks down the line.

Guinea pigs don't grow evenly. 20-30g during the first 4-6 months is average, but it can go up to 50-60g for a week or two without the piggy being pregnant. In a pregnant sow, a weight gain like the latter would happen towards the last third of the pregnancy and would be accompanied by visible signs like growing baby balls.

My girls are around 3 1/2 months and I've had them for around 4-ish weeks.

So they are both still in the quick growth phase and the bigger weight gain could be down to just all the nutrients filtering down. The smaller weight gain is perfectly normal for that age. Unfortunately, in your case, the jury is still out for Hazel, but if she is pregnant, you would notice a thickening around the middle with the belly sticking out one side one day and the other side on the next day. ;)

Ok thanks Wiebke. I'm quite sure Hazelnut isn't preggers, though. What if she isn't pregnant? Is the weight gain still ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back