• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight difference

Rebecca01

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all
My two girls are almost 15 weeks old-
I have been weighing them regularly to keep an eye on their weight;
Izzles was the runt of the litter and came absolutely TINY- she now weighs around 520g.
Her sister Doodles is putting on weight very quickly though, and is over 750g!
I’ve read that they put on weight quickly until they are their adult weight, but just wanted to check if this weight is something I should worry about (ie being overweight) or just to see what happens once she is a bit older?

You don't really have to worry about piggies being overweight as long as their diet is mostly hay. Piggies will grow at very different rates and it's likely your runt will always be a bit smaller and that's ok too. I don't really have any baby piggie experience (both our pairs were teenagers when they came to us) so hopefully someone with a bit more experience will be able to shed some light here but I wouldn't worry for now.

Please don’t worry at all! Your piggies may well always have a large gap between their weights and the runt will probably always remain small.

You are looking for their weight going up while they are young.
You check they are a good size for themselves by checking their heft - piggy BMI. The number on the scales does not tell you whether they are over or underweight and that is because there is a wide range of healthy adult weights.
It is unlikely they will ever be overweight if you follow a good diet and they get chance to exercise

This guide explains more

Hi all
My two girls are almost 15 weeks old-
I have been weighing them regularly to keep an eye on their weight;
Izzles was the runt of the litter and came absolutely TINY- she now weighs around 520g.
Her sister Doodles is putting on weight very quickly though, and is over 750g!
I’ve read that they put on weight quickly until they are their adult weight, but just wanted to check if this weight is something I should worry about (ie being overweight) or just to see what happens once she is a bit older?

Hi

Both piggies have a perfectly acceptable weight. The weight difference is however only going to get larger as the proportional difference will remain about the same.

BUT: It does not matter how small or large a piggy is as long as they are a healthy weight/size ratio (BMI) in themselves. The weight difference also doesn't say anything about their long term health or their longevity.

As long as you focus on a healthy balanced long term diet, both your girls will individually realise their optimal physical possibilities. With a healthy, hay based diet you can on average boost a healthy life span another 1-2 years. It is your own long term nurture which will be the ultimate deciding factor, barring a major genetic defect; not their actual individual size.

It is the same in humans - their weight doesn't say anything as to their health when you don't know their body size. Nor would we ever even think about the fact that many women celebrating their centenary birth are below 5ft and more likely to reach it than men over 6 ft? Or whether it actually matters?

I have had several piggies who just about touched the 800g in the prime of their lives live to 8 years, as did my largest boar, who at 1500g was borderline underweight. I currently have two runts who stopped growing at 6 months of age just short of 600g. They are now 3 years but - barring a genetic defect - they have every chance to live a normal life span in good care as long as their size is only the result of the horrible background their (sister) mothers were rescued from; i.e. long term severe neglect and uncontrolled breeding.

The key factor is a healthy weight range in themselves and a good diet; not whether they are 'average' or not.

Please take the time to read this link here. You will find it a bit of an eye opener but that will also help to allay any fears. It does explain some very common and widespread misconceptions and mind traps that sadly many owners fall into but also how BMI and absolute weight relate to each other and why it is important to check for both because it is the correct perspective that is essential. Mere numbers on a scale are meaningless when one piggy turns out to be overweight at what is considered 'average' while the next is underweight - neither of them will be healty even if the numbers make them appear so.

Back