• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weighing the 40,000.... how much weightloss is okay?

• Thread starter Thread starter PigPog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PigPog

Mother-in-law and I have just weighed our 27, and some of them have lost between 1-3 ounces since last Sunday. Is this normal? :-\

I think if i remember rightly, between 1-3 oz is ok, aything over 3 may be worth seeing the vet. I'd just keep an eye on them if i were you, ive had pigs that have lost 3oz and been fine and ones that have been really ill and not lost a gram :) x

Okay, thanks guys. We do them every Sunday. It's a fairly new thing we've just started doing after having lost so many this year. Even the one who has lost 3oz since last Sunday is throwing herself around the pen and leading the life of Riley. ;D The one who hasn't lost any weight has gurgly breathing, so I see what you mean jnenbnb. I'll see how it goes next week.

I weigh mine every sunday too :) my name is Emma by the way :) owner of the most complicated username ever ;D will be easier for you to type in the future :) x

;D Thanks Emma, much better! Now I know two Emmas :D

I do the messy bit and get scratched and covered in poo while mother-in-law writes it down. ;D

;D i do both! Try to write down the weight in pounds and grams whilst stopping a pig comitting suicide off the scales ;D

I weigh twice a week Sunday and Wednesdays I go by the rule 1-2 oz is ok (Pudsey was 700g on Wednesday but is now 675g as I weighed him on an empty tum) 3oz go on alert and 4 oz go to a vet.

Tuesdays is our weigh day, I noticed all mine lost 2-3 oz (except porky little jazz who remained the same ::)) This happened when they couldnt go out all day and munch on grass so thats what I am putting it down too as they just stayed at that weight some times gone up a ounce and then the next week down one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back