• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weigh-in surprise, should I be worried?

Sue and Smartie

Competition Winner
Reaction score
I weigh my girls every Sunday, and they are usually about 1100 - 1200 g each.
I weighed them today and Fifi has gained 100g in a week. I was so surprised I weighed her twice and the result was exactly the same. 1321g, last week she was 1217g. There has been no change to their diet.
Pippa weighs about what she did last week, so it's not as though Fifi has been eating everything by herself. A weight loss of this scale would have me on the phone to the vet but what about large weight gains? Is that a cause for concern?

I weigh my girls every Sunday, and they are usually about 1100 - 1200 g each.
I weighed them today and Fifi has gained 100g in a week. I was so surprised I weighed her twice and the result was exactly the same. 1321g, last week she was 1217g. There has been no change to their diet.
Pippa weighs about what she did last week, so it's not as though Fifi has been eating everything by herself. A weight loss of this scale would have me on the phone to the vet but what about large weight gains? Is that a cause for concern?

Hi

I would recommend to check her for symptoms of bloating or a potential fluid build up in the body cavity and see whether the weight gain persists or not. Hopefully it is just a transitory one-off.

If you have concerns, please see a vet after the bank holiday or sooner if Fifi is starting to show acute signs of not being well.

Hope she is ok and it’s nothing to worry about 🤞🏻

Fifi is acting quite as usual - she's active, jumping, stretching, and eating just as she normally does. She is showing no signs of distress at all.
But I have given less breakfast and NO broccoli, just in case!

Just a quick update: I weighed Fifi today and she is back to her usual weight again. So whatever it was has resolved itself.
Piggies are full of mysteries aren't they?

Yeah; they can really give you the heebies. Maybe the scales were just not quite even or the batteries are low? It's happened to me a few times.

Back