Wee trays

Sazbell

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
I'm using sawdust in there tray for them to wee in. It really smells.
I'm wondering does anyone use cat litter instead.
Just thinking of an alternative to see if helps with the smell.
Suggestions welcome

How often do you change the litter?
You can use paper bedding , megazorb, aubiose etc. You can use cat litter but only non clumping versions otherwise there is a risk to the piggies.

I change them every 3 days
What cat litter do people use then?

I change them every 3 days
What cat litter do people use then?

That is probably the issue. Wet areas of disposable beddings need to be changed daily.
I cant answer the question about cat litter as I dont use it - I use megazorb, shavings or aubiose.

I use wood litter which is marketed for cats. I’ve used it for years when I had rabbits and continued when I had pigs. I’ve tried other things like aubiose and megazorb and just didn’t like them as much as the wood litter.

I agree, dispose of the wet areas daily and replace with fresh shavings.
I several layers of newspaper in my plastic boxes too before putting the shavings on top of that and then hay. As piggies love hay so much they like to eat it, play in it and then sleep and of course poo and pee in it too. I think it works well as they eat and toilet in the same area which is helpful of them😁
I do a big clean once a week including emptying and washing out the hay boxes completely.

urinated on hay can smell quite quickly so I would consider changing it out every other day at most. You can pick out the wet hay and shavings and replace/top up.

urinated on hay can smell quite quickly so I would consider changing it out every other day at most. You can pick out the wet hay and shavings and replace/top up.
Yes I have to say wet hay and shavings both get removed at least once a day. Never used cat litter though....

I used biocatelet a while ago which I liked. Only problem was the cost.

I use megazorb in my litter trays,scrap poos off with a cat litter scoop,change out wet areas every 3 days,change completely once a week.its best to use megazorb without newspaper.its does not stick to the trays.hay i change daily.back 2 nature is a paper pellet for small animals,which is good,but expensive.

I use broken up coir in my piggies trays, it's soaks up the wee,and easy to clean, no smell, and can be put in the garden or composted,

Back