• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

weak leg

D

Deleted member 148398

this is going to be lengthy so apologies in advance 😟
my guinea pig cinnamon (5 years and 9 months) is recovering from bloat. we took him to the vets and she managed to get his bowels cleared and moving again nearly 2 days ago and gave him painkillers and fluids. i’ve been giving him pellets, hay and water and he’s been drinking on his own but only eating some of his pellets. understandably he’s still quite weak but moving around more and more everyday however after i got home from school he’s tucking his left hind leg in and leaning on it rather than standing upright. he can seem to use it since he is walking to his water bottle and play tunnel but i’m just a bit concerned since he was dragging his hind right foot on the day we took him to the vets. just as i was writing this out he’s standing upright but he is still quite slow and wary in his movement. can anyone give me advice and thank you <3

Please ensure you weigh him daily so you can be sure he is eating enough hay during his recovery. You may need to step in with syringe feeding critical care if he is losing weight.
Bloat can come in waves and is painful and it’s possible it could be behind some of his reluctance to stand properly, but it could also be that he has an injury. You will need to see a vet again for further advice and checks

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Please ensure you weigh him daily so you can be sure he is eating enough hay during his recovery. You may need to step in with syringe feeding critical care if he is losing weight.
Bloat can come in waves and is painful and it’s possible it could be behind some of his reluctance to stand properly, but it could also be that he has an injury. You will need to see a vet again for further advice and checks

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Weight - Monitoring and Management
thank you so much for replying so quickly! he was just walking around and running through his tunnels and toys but i’m going to keep an eye on his movement/leg. i weighed him yesterday and he hasn’t lost any weight and i’ll weigh him again around the same time tonight but i have syringes at hand in case i do need to start using critical care. again thank you so much this is really helpful :)

Hi and welcome

:agr:

Please take the time to read our guide links; you will find them very helpful with all the practical details on how you can support your piggy best.

Please see a vet (or even an out-of-hours vet in an emergency).
Here is the access link to our on-stop emergency information and practical advice collection: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Be aware that bloat can be caused by both a problem with the digestive process ('dybiosis', i.e. overgrowth of the wrong kind of bacteria), the gut (partial blockage or twist) or it can be caused by pressure from an internal growth or a source of intense pain outside the gut.
If only one leg is affected, then it is more likely that an outside source or a very localised issue in the gut are responsible rather than dysbiosis. If problems persist, an x-ray may help to find out what is going on.

Fingers very firmly crossed!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope piggy continues to improve.

Please answer the message I've sent you.

Back