We Are Being Outwitted By A Pair Of Pigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigermoth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
image.webp
The battle for life underground continues. We have fleece bedding and the gruesome twosome are determined to spend as much time under there as possible. We used to have lovely sewn pads which I stopped using in favour of a blanket over the absorbent layer so I can clip the fleece to the correx. In the picture you can see. The pegs are new, they are my next layer of defence, there are bulldog clips holding it on. One pig basically grabs an edge and runs backwards to create a gap that the other wriggles into, the first one then follows. They leave barely a trace of where they did it.

What do I do? They don't eat when they go under there and frankly they stink too!

Next step to stay one step ahead? I chuck fleece in there for them to burrow in but they ignore it.

People often suggest those plastic file binders to stop piggies chewing correx. I wonder if you could find some wide enough to go over the fleece that's on top of the correx. Would stop any gaps they could climb through.

I think you get something like this and remove the metal bits in case they poke the piggies. Clever piggies! Remember: They are furry, small, adorable yet dangerous. Mine had a certain gap they got under, and peed on the correx, lovely. So we put their bed on it. Now they just pee on the bedXD

Could you put heavy pebbles in the corners?

Where did you get your white c and c grids? Having trouble finding any less that fifty quid for just a few ...

:)) I shouldn't laugh, but honestly it sounds like your two are super intelligent - our girls not so much to be honest... :))

I love the fact they cover their tracks. Do they have a toolkit? Sorry I realise my post is in no way helpful, just so impressed by them

:)) Love your pigs. Kasper & Quinn aren't getting to see this thread :))

Oh that is hilarious. They are so intelligent!

I had a group,like this and in the end I gave up and just used Fitch bedding instead.

I had one hilarious incident where my three older pigs were under the fleece and two very young babies on top and effectively sitting on top of the old ones. Every time the buried old ones moved the youngsters got so excited that they pop corned, it was like a trampoline for guineas ! I so wish I had videoed it but did'nt have a smart phone then.

Could you put heavy pebbles in the corners?

Where did you get your white c and c grids? Having trouble finding any less that fifty quid for just a few ...
I don't think pebbles would help, they'll just try a different spot. As for the grids, I'm no help there, I got mine second hand I'm afraid, sorry!

:)) I shouldn't laugh, but honestly it sounds like your two are super intelligent - our girls not so much to be honest... :))

I love the fact they cover their tracks. Do they have a toolkit? Sorry I realise my post is in no way helpful, just so impressed by them
No help at all! Honestly it would be hilarious if they belonged to someone else, as it is, it is so frustrating! Despite the pegs between me leaving the house for work and DH coming down from his shower they were under it again! Rargh!

People often suggest those plastic file binders to stop piggies chewing correx. I wonder if you could find some wide enough to go over the fleece that's on top of the correx. Would stop any gaps they could climb through.
That is an idea, I'll see if there is something like that...

I think you get something like this and remove the metal bits in case they poke the piggies. Clever piggies! Remember: They are furry, small, adorable yet dangerous. Mine had a certain gap they got under, and peed on the correx, lovely. So we put their bed on it. Now they just pee on the bedXD
You can't see in the picture but that is what is on there. I had 12 clips of that type on there. We found another half dozen and added them yesterday. The clothes pegs were my emergency additions this morning when I found them under it again despite all the clips! Dangerous? They have death wish. Guinea pig kebab anyone?

Sorry but this is hilarious :lol!:. Naughty piggies. Mabel is a bit of a burrower - as I was cleaning them out tonight she managed to hide in the rolls of dirty fleece and took a while to be enticed back out again. It's a hobby of hers. I just have to make sure I overlap all the fleeces or she goes under them all the time. I pin the "weak spots" down with a log arch, a stool, China bowl etc

I only have one join and I have sewn that to stop them burrowing. She is working on chewing through the seam. (Jenny is the ringleader, on this Timmy does as he is told)

They do make you laugh don't they!

Whenever Tilly goes to the Vets we put a puppy pad covered in hay into the pet carrier. By the time we get to the Vets, Tilly has always managed to get under the puppy pad and has peed on the carrier :no:

No help at all! Honestly it would be hilarious if they belonged to someone else, as it is, it is so frustrating! Despite the pegs between me leaving the house for work and DH coming down from his shower they were under it again! Rargh!

That's what I aim for :)

I loled at Jenny being the ring leader, she always seems like butter wouldn't melt ha ha. I understand the frustration though, they seem to get fixated on something at times. Cookie learned how to open the run once and wouldn't stop trying to do it, had to leave run 2 for a week or so until she forgot!

That's what I aim for :)

I loled at Jenny being the ring leader, she always seems like butter wouldn't melt ha ha. I understand the frustration though, they seem to get fixated on something at times. Cookie learned how to open the run once and wouldn't stop trying to do it, had to leave run 2 for a week or so until she forgot!
Open the run? Eek! The thought of them trying to escape terrifies me as they are now up high and so if they get out they probably plummet to their death like a lemming. Gulp.

Open the run? Eek! The thought of them trying to escape terrifies me as they are now up high and so if they get out they probably plummet to their death like a lemming. Gulp.

it was on the floor luckily :) She found a way of nose butting the grids apart! and then lead a piggy train around the floor :))

Sorry but I found this so funny. I had the same problem, it's so funny when you see a couple of humps moving around. We solved it by putting loads of fleece up & over the corex & put bulldog clips every 3" you can find the clips in Sainsbury's in the stationary bit.
If all this fails stick them back on wood shavings

Tim and Sophie do the same but bulldog clips all round the edge do seem to have helped, unless we leave a gap between clips that is Sophie sized.

Tim and Sophie do the same but bulldog clips all round the edge do seem to have helped, unless we leave a gap between clips that is Sophie sized.
It must be the distance between clips, but it takes ages to clip it all on when you change bedding. Here's hoping the slide binders will make that quicker. I shall report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back