WAYS TO COOL GUINEA PIG?

caseybishop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi! it’s really hot in massachusetts right now and i don’t have central air. i put a fan in my room thats doing a good job on its own but i was still a little worried about my piggies so i googled some way to keep them chill. i put a damp cloth hanging in both cages over a corner so they can have cool air that way and nice shade and i put a tiny baggie of ice and wash cloth in there. is this okay? tomorrow i’m going to go out and buy a cooling stone but is there any other ways y’all can think of for right now? i don’t want them too hot or too cold and it’s making me very anxious

Is the bag of ice covered by a wash cloth? That's a good thing to cool them down. The piggies will lie beside them once they know they're cool. I also use ice packs for pack lunch boxes and 500ml plastic bottles of water, pour out a little water, freeze and place in the cage in a cloth. My piggies lie beside all these things but never laid on lovely cool stone or marble.

yea there’s a wash cloth of top! thanks for the feedback! i had no frozen water bottles but i watched some videos on how to prepare them and i saw a lot of them like the cool rock to lay on and they’re fairly cheap so i think i’ll try them! thank you so much :D

yea there’s a wash cloth of top! thanks for the feedback! i had no frozen water bottles but i watched some videos on how to prepare them and i saw a lot of them like the cool rock to lay on and they’re fairly cheap so i think i’ll try them! thank you so much :D
Hopefully your piggies are more sensible with the rock than mine :lol: The hot days are a worry.

We bought a small air conditioning unit for hot days here, just for the guinea pigs. It’s not very big and while it did cost a bit, worth it knowing we can really pull down the temperature down in the Guinea pig room to something more manageable in the summer. (Although summer seems to be unsure if it’s going to turn up here in the uk this year). We also use ice packs that we wrap in a towel so they have something to lay near, it also cools the air around it so it brings down the cage temperature a little too.

Back