water bottle

kgshepp

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi! i just got my guinea pig almost a week ago! loving him so far :) he’s only 10 weeks old and that may have something to do with it but I'm just wondering about this. when he is drinking from his water bottle, he is sort of chewing on the spout and i’m afraid he’s not sure how to use it? can someone help me out here? thank you!

Don't worry, my piggy does this too. It's not because he doesn't know how to use it.
When my piggy does this, I assume the water just isn't coming out quick enough for him.

Don't worry, my piggy does this too. It's not because he doesn't know how to use it.
When my piggy does this, I assume the water just isn't coming out quick enough for him.
that makes sense. thank you!

Two of mine chew them too

Does he have a friend? Piggies are highly social animals and need to be kept in pairs at all times. Particularly one as young as yours should never be alone

Two of mine chew them too

Does he have a friend? Piggies are highly social animals and need to be kept in pairs at all times. Particularly one as young as yours should never be alone
as of right now, he does not. i would love to get him a friend but ive already got a cage that i was told is only big enough for one. i more than likely will be getting him a friend soon though!

as of right now, he does not. i would love to get him a friend but ive already got a cage that i was told is only big enough for one. i more than likely will be getting him a friend soon though!

How big is the cage?
The minimum for a single pig is 120x60cm (anything smaller than that isn’t suitable even for one piggy).
Two boys together need 180x60cm.

Please do - he needs a friend asap as babies learn from each other and their social needs come first.
(It’s a shame they sold him to you as a single piggy - it’s not your fault though. unfortunately it’s only illegal to sell single piggies in Switzerland)

You will need to find a character compatible companion for him and carry out the process of bonding in neutral territory.
If you can find a rescue centre nearby to help you find him a friend then that is best to ensure compatibility and a successful bond that lasts.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

One of my boys drinks from the bottle very nicely and quietly. The other one chews on it, rattles it and lets more water dribble out than he drinks! He leaves scummy marks all over the spout too where he puts his mouth right round it! As long as they are drinking, it's all normal.

I’ve noticed that my piggies over the years have all drank differently from the bottle.

At the moment Pepper puts nearly the whole spout in his mouth. Pebble doesn’t drink often.

I used to have a piggy called Sunny. He used to turn his head right to the side, insert the spout and then straighten his head again. Very odd. He also popcorned odd too. 😍

They are all different

Back