Water Bottle Worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsty Tarry

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping for some advice, as new Guinea Pig owner.....
I've had my girls for a few months now, they are a rescue mother and daughter and very shy (mum possibly about 2 and baby is now 4 months).
I'm really struggling with water bottles and getting the pigs drinking. I'm on my fourth bottle (trixie glass one) and that seems the best so far. However the mum is the only one that tries to drink and always seems to be struggling to get anything out, no matter what bottle I use. It's like she's chewing it rather than drinking it then she stops and looks at me as if to say; sort it out mum!
I don't know if it's too high up, or too low or what! Any advice on placement? I've tried bowls but they just give them a wide berth.
I'm not overly concerned about dehydration as they have plenty of veggies and always cucumber, it's just the mum seeming to struggle with it that concerns me. She's quite a big pig and comes up to the spout from below, and keeps turning her head this way and that like she's struggling to get in the right position. Any advice appreciated - sorry for the long post! x

Guinea pigs have all sorts of drinking styles. Mine look like they are chewing the bottle . I am suspecting your guineas may be getting enough water. Have a little look to see if you can see an air bubble rising - I usually see a bubble after about 3 slugs !

This I picture Max having a drink ....

20150920_140659(0).webp

... " what are you looking at human ? "

20150920_140701.webp

Thank you so much PiggyOwner, that's exactly what my Kate does! For such a shy thing when I got her, she's getting quite cheeky, which I love :)
Oh that's put my mind at rest a bit. I've noticed bubbles in my other bottles but not so easy to see in the new glass one.
Thanks again x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back