Water Bottle Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
It occurred to me today, whilst cleaning out two of the piggy cages in my nightie! Oh what a sight to behold!:eek:

Anyway, I was steeping the bottles for cleaning, and well we have a lot of new members and it's easy to forget the importance of clean bowls and water bottles.

I use a baby bottle steriliser fluid like Milton or similar to clean out my bottles, leave them for 10 minutes with 1 part steriliser 10 parts water...you know what I mean...then thoroughly rinse with lots of water. I also make sure the end piece gets dunked into the bottles as well.

Good clean bottles and happy healthy piggies. :bronco::clap:

Mine are just cleaned with hot water. Any marks are removed with washing up liquid. I would be concerned about any traces left from the Milton.

If you are looking at cleaning piggy bottles in the same way as cleaning baby bottles then it is really important that the bottles are thoroughly cleaned in hot soapy water before putting them in the Milton. Milton sterilises clean stuff but it does not remove dirt. Baby bottles are cleaned first and then sterilised in Milton for 30 minutes. Obviously it isn't important that piggy stuff is sterile but must be clean. Am not sure how piggies are with Milton but if doing bottles for babies you would not rinse the bottle when it came out of the Milton as it would undo all your work.

Saying that - I look at Milton from a purely 'baby' angle as I teach bottle cleaning and sterilising to all my bottle-feeding patients.

I have to say I wouldn't bother with the Milton when cleaning piggy bottles - I would just give them a darn good clean in hot soapy water with a bottle brush. Am happy for folk to tell me I'm wrong though (on the piggy bottle stance, not the baby one!)

Rice. We use rice to clean ours. Put a small handful of grains into the bottle and add a small amount of water. Shake vigoursly and then rinse. Cotton wool bud for the end.

I use hot and cold water from the tap, whilst giving a good scrub with the 'Johnson's Clean & Safe small animal pet disinfectant', does the job for the bottles and bowls! Then rinsing afterwards.

Can't beat a good bottle brush. I also use a cotton bud to clean out the spout of the bottle as that can get quite mucky too.
I can't agree more!
You can't get your hands inside those bottles, so I doubt I'd be able to keep the bottles clean!

I use a brush & soapy water then a good rinse in cold water. Make sure you clean around the inside of the cap where it can get green algae forming. I got a baby sterilizer unit on freecycle & plan to sterilize the bottles once a month.

I struggle to clean mine. I've thrown a few out because of this reason. I use a bottle brush but it seems to struggle to clean the bottom of the bottle and just plain hot water.

I use an earrbud to clean out the nozzle in the tip of any green algae and then wash it in the water to get rid of any leftover ickiness.

I rinse with hot water daily and then weekly I tend to do a thorough scrub clean with a bottle brush and Hot-soapy water and lots of rinsing amd make sure i scrub the nozzle as it gets mucky and pieces of food stuck inside :P....
Then about every three months or so i use a sterilising fluid to clean them and then approx yearly i buy new water bottles and keep just a few older ones as spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back