Wasting Hay

Peanut&Hazel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I would like some advice and/or some tips.

Every time I give my guinea pigs hay, they spread it out everywhere and pee on some of it, so they end up not eating it and wasting a lot of it. We are currently using a cardboard box to hold it and have previously used a hay rack. When we used a hay rack, they just pulled a bunch of it out onto the ground and don't eat it.

The only way to not waste too much is to give them a small amount and refill their hay often, but this takes a lot of time. I don't want to waste hay or have to spend a lot of time.

Could anyone offer any tips/advice?

I’m afraid hay waste is part and parcel of piggy ownership. There’s nothing you can do about it. They like to run through it and pee on it (can sometimes give it an additional flavour). As you’ve seen, racks don’t help because they’ll pull it out - likely trying to get to the tasty morsels.

You’ll just have to absorb the fact that it will happen and can’t be eliminated entirely. Look at them lying in the hay or hiding while eating, it will make you happy that they’re happy ☺️

Best advice is to change your mindset, do you view a toy that has been used well and then needs removing due to being dirty a waste?
Hay is so, so much more than food. Its enrichment, mentally stimulating when given in large enough quantities as it allows them to replicate the natural behaviour of running through tall grasses creating tunnels. This offers them a sense of safety and reduced stress, reduced stress affords them a better immune system and resistance to illness.
Lots of hay to dig in and forage in gives them exercise, muscles are a case of use it or lose it, using their legs to dig and forage keeps muscles in good shape and helps support them into old age.

Buying hay cheaper in bulk is the best way to not feel like you're burning money when throwing it away. But look at it as more than food, look at it as an easily replacable edible toy that has been well used :)

What I think this Hay is for piggies:

Food

What my Guinea pigs think hay is:

Food
Toilet paper
Seat
Bed
Urinals
Scratch and sniff
Camafage (we can still see you)
Entertainment
Something for the humans to find randomly around the house remind us to bring more hay

Thank you guys so much! I will try to think of it in a different way. I didn't realize hay could be so versatile. Thanks!
Absolutely is, it’s important to them, they get really excited when I add lots of hay to their cages, I have 9 so use a lot of hay, love to see them making tunnels, eating, slobbing, hiding, tug of war, it’s their safety too.

I still believe that apart from a companion. hay is probably the second most important part of a happy guinea pig's life.
I always used large plastic tubs as hay trays, and there is nothing more wonderful than seeing an excited guinea pig fling themselves into a large pile of hay.

As a rule of thumb If they aren’t wasting hay, then you aren’t putting enough in!

Mine waste loads. But it’s nutrition, bedding, insulation, enrichment, kitchen and bathroom and also entertainment for them. The only piggies I’ve seen who have eaten all their hay have been in poor conditions where food and hay were scarce. So a healthy (stinky, soggy, scented) waste pile is a good sign that you’re doing something right.

As a rule of thumb If they aren’t wasting hay, then you aren’t putting enough in!

Mine waste loads. But it’s nutrition, bedding, insulation, enrichment, kitchen and bathroom and also entertainment for them. The only piggies I’ve seen who have eaten all their hay have been in poor conditions where food and hay were scarce. So a healthy (stinky, soggy, scented) waste pile is a good sign that you’re doing something right.
So true specially with the little girlies

Hay need never be 'wasted' if you have a garden. Hay can be used as a mulch on flower and veggie beds and as the brown component of the compost bin. It's hay with added fertiliser! I have 3 neighbours who like to have a bucket of spent hay when ever I can spare it, it always finds a home.

I agree with what others have said. The amount of hay I throw out is amazing. It doesn't matter where or how neatly you place it. 🤦‍♀️
Mine have ad-lib hay large beds of meadow hay, with fresh timothy added in the evenings) and love nothing more than making hay tunnels and dens.

But if you think piggies are wasteful, try horses 😂 and their waste costs me a lot more!

I know people have differing opinions on hay racks, but I'm personally not a fan. I find it does slow piggy consumption rate down, and the last thing we want is digestive issues or dental issues due to reduced chewing. I've heard of some terrible accidents with hay racks too.

I agree with what others have said. The amount of hay I throw out is amazing. It doesn't matter where or how neatly you place it. 🤦‍♀️
Mine have ad-lib hay large beds of meadow hay, with fresh timothy added in the evenings) and love nothing more than making hay tunnels and dens.

But if you think piggies are wasteful, try horses 😂 and their waste costs me a lot more!

I know people have differing opinions on hay racks, but I'm personally not a fan. I find it does slow piggy consumption rate down, and the last thing we want is digestive issues or dental issues due to reduced chewing. I've heard of some terrible accidents with hay racks too.

I empty my piggy hay trays into a big pile in one of my paddocks.. The horses are always there eating it! Guinea pig poo and all! 🤣

I never think of the hay I chuck out as "wasted" how can it be waste hay if my piggies have hidden in it, made hay nests and hay tunnels in it, eaten it, wee'd on it, pooped on it, run through it and generally had fun in it. I sprinkle their pellets on it too and they have fun rootling through the hay trying to find them all.

I never think of the hay I chuck out as "wasted" how can it be waste hay if my piggies have hidden in it, made hay nests and hay tunnels in it, eaten it, wee'd on it, pooped on it, run through it and generally had fun in it. I sprinkle their pellets on it too and they have fun rootling through the hay trying to find them all.
Yeah I do the same and forage, keeps them busy lol

Right now I'm using a cardboard box that has large holes in it and I stuff it with hay. I put the box vertical like a hay wall and it's easily accessible to them and they only pee on a small portion compared to the past. However, I think giving them a pile of hay once in a while is a great idea as it can be very fun for them!

Thanks!

My piggies waste loads of hay. I give them 3 types as well. Oxbow timothy and orchard hays are in racks (just because they are more expensive), and meadow hay are on piles in different parts of their cage (this they waste a lot coz they burrow in it as well). They also get a bowl of oat hay and wheat hay but they don't prefer that compared to the rest and are considered treats (they would spread it out off the bowl and pick what they can and then leave them). What I do keep in mind is that if their poops are normal (good shape/colour/consistency), and if their weight is good and consistent, then they are eating enough of the hay that they need and supposed to eat.

Back