Washing Machine.

Jenni85

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
OK, so I thought I'd broken my washing machine. The cycle kept cutting out and then coming back on. I drained the machine and emptied the filter which was absolutely chocca block full of hay! I literally shake it out the back garden until my arms ache before I put it in the machine.

Is there any way around this like special dissolving magical detergents or something? 😂

The only thing is …….laundrettes ban pet stuff as least my way they do !

I use pet laundry bags as even after brushing some hay still appears 😂
I couldn't believe what I was seeing it was literally jam packed with soggy hay.

Pet laundry bags are def the way to go. I got mine off Amazon. My piggies have been on fleece for years and I've not had a problem with my washing machine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aoliandato...4502&sprefix=Pet+laundry+,aps,105&sr=8-8&th=1

Above is an example. I have 2 of them. I split the fleeces between the 2 bags then the washing machine spins as it is then "a balanced" load.

Pet laundry bags are def the way to go. I got mine off Amazon. My piggies have been on fleece for years and I've not had a problem with my washing machine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aoliandatong-Laundry-Washing-Machines-Blocking/dp/B08KZMKGX3/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2OZHFZ80HH5JQ&keywords=pet+laundry+bags+for+washing+machine&qid=1680644502&sprefix=Pet+laundry+,aps,105&sr=8-8&th=1

Above is an example. I have 2 of them. I split the fleeces between the 2 bags then the washing machine spins as it is then "a balanced" load.
Oh, fab. Thank you. Do you think I will fit a 3x2 and a bobble bath mat in each one?

Oh, fab. Thank you. Do you think I will fit a 3x2 and a bobble bath mat in each one?
I use a horse bag, I can fit 3 bobble bath mats and two towels in one 2 hour load. I use white vinegar, pet hair dissolver and half a cup of unscented washing powder.

I then do a 15 minute rinse wash and my washing machine smells fine and hasnt had any issues as such for many years.
This is the one I use - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joymaney-P...8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1 - but i dont think it matters much.

I use a horse bag, I can fit 3 bobble bath mats and two towels in one 2 hour load. I use white vinegar, pet hair dissolver and half a cup of unscented washing powder.

I then do a 15 minute rinse wash and my washing machine smells fine and hasnt had any issues as such for many years.
This is the one I use - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joymaney-P...8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1 - but i dont think it matters much.

I have a jumbo horse wash bag and it fits a 3 x 4 fleece and 3 noodle mats

I had my 10 year old washing machine mended for something electrical and totally unrelated last year and I asked the repair man to check the filter ( as it's not easy to get to) and it was completely clean. That's even after cleaning some pigy towels not using a horse bag.

I would say, using a rubber curry comb horse brush (costs about £6 from Amazon) to quickly brush the worst of the hay and fur off your fleece before washing, is the way to go.
10 mins brushing everything, vacuum up the hay and fur that comes off, then there's nothing much left when it goes in the machine.
We've been doing this for 5 years now and at one point 11 pigs/ 3 cages/ 36 square foot of floor fleece plus 20 fleecy beds and 10 pee pads twice a week, and it is very good to know that the mess is briefly on the floor, then in the vacuum cleaner, never in the washing machine!

I would say, using a rubber curry comb horse brush (costs about £6 from Amazon) to quickly brush the worst of the hay and fur off your fleece before washing, is the way to go.
10 mins brushing everything, vacuum up the hay and fur that comes off, then there's nothing much left when it goes in the machine.
We've been doing this for 5 years now and at one point 11 pigs/ 3 cages/ 36 square foot of floor fleece plus 20 fleecy beds and 10 pee pads twice a week, and it is very good to know that the mess is briefly on the floor, then in the vacuum cleaner, never in the washing machine!
Thank you, I'll have a look at them now.

I second the curry comb suggestion. I got one recently and it makes a huge difference in fleece cleaning. It's so much faster and more effective than just beating and rubbing the fleece against itself. My "curry comb" is a relatively soft silicone, so it's pretty gentle on my fleece, too. Mine is made by Intrepid (or at least that's what it says on the side of it) and calls itself a Gel Scrubbie Mitt.

Curry brush + wash bag fan here too! I also use a hybrid approach - I have 3x2 fleece and then a 2x2 paper bedding (back2nature) hay pile zone, and it works well. They have hay on top of their castle hide as well and lots of fleece hides for if they get chilly.

I don't use a curry comb, I use a brush (one half of a dustpan and brush set that hasn't been used as a set for years lol). It brushes the debris right off and all I have to worry about then is getting it off the floor (and off me, I suppose). My washing machine's possessed, can't do anything other than a full wash, refuses to spin if the drum's too light (but you can't overload it, apparently), but the goblin bedding doesn't faze it, at all. Fazes me, sure, but not the washing machine.

Back