• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wash my piggys bum

Lauraarse03

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my male piggy’s pretty big an he cleans him self but I find that his butts wet all the time from peeing so I washed him up an trimmed his fur so it would be easier for him to clean himself. would it be ok if once a week I only wash his bum to make sure he’s clean an doesn’t get a rash?

An occasional bum bath is ok if essential but he should not need it to be done as routine and certainly not weekly if he is healthy and able to keep himself clean.

Best thing is to look at why he is wet all the time as that should not be occurring all the time in a healthy piggy

First thing is to check health issues - UTI; overweight or if elderly then arthritis preventing him from getting back to clean himself etc.

Is he sitting for long periods in wet patches?
What type of bedding is he on? Are you spot cleaning daily (or even twice daily)?
It’s advisable to use additional pee pads in high traffic areas so they can be removed daily rather than having to change a whole fleece.

A healthy piggy with his hair is kept short so it doesnt soil or drag on the ground then he should not need to have a regular bum bath.

I have fleece / pads material that stays pettry dry I spot clean at least three times a day an in high traffic areas I do put extra pee pads down an change those regularly also he is a healthy piggy he’s three he’s alittle chunky since he’s been nuttered but other than that it’s mostly alittle damp on his back legs I just don’t want him uncomfortable but the cage is always spotless for having three piggy’s an I am constantly changing out the little bed blankets to lol 😆 💕

Ok so cage care wise sounds good.

So how long ago was he neutered - Is he still in recovery?

Have you checked his heft to ensure he isn’t overweight?

Check his heft yourself - ie check whether he is overweight - by placing your hands around his ribs.
The guide below explains heft.

Double check his diet - one cup of veg; don’t feed fruit or carrots; check his pellets are no more than one tablespoon per day.
Keep his hair trimmed.

He should not be wet all the time - you need to rule out every possibility for it.

As I say though, I would not recommend that you bathe him every week - it simply shouldn’t be necessary and won’t do his skin any favours.

Back