Warmest bedding

• Thread starter Thread starter Racheylcg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Racheylcg

I used hay last year for my outdoor pigs (before anyone has a go at me they are in a garage out of the wind and rain) but as the weathers getting colder I've noticed that hay really isnt that warm.
Has anyone got a better suggestion for a warmer bedding (preferably quite cheap and widely available)?
Also has anyone got any tips for keeping them warm?
I just get really worried about them out there :(

I think hay is the best at insulating. Straw is good too I think but most people recommend that straw should not be used with piggies. Maybe you can cover the cage with a sleeping bag or something too to keep it warm and draughts out? How about a heat pad thingy?

I've got a tarpaulin-type cover that I use at nights but I dont think it keeps them that warm.
I odnt know about the heat pad, I'd love one but they're really expensive and I cant find anywhere that sells them.
Thats what I thought about hay but people on here are saying that it doesnt keep them warm.

I use deep hay for all of mine,you could get a small cardboard box that fits inside the sleeping end and fill that with hay the cardboard helps with insulation.they also have fun chewing the box up

Hmm..maybe a sleeping bad over the front of the hutch and on top too could help keep some heat in? Maybe some shredded paper inside mixed with the hay could help? I don't know I just thought I'd offer some suggestions :) How about a box or a house in there too filled with something warm?

I'm not sure where you can get heatpads from but I'll have a look for you :)

My piggies are in their piggy shed. They have loads of hay in their hutches. They have houses covered in fleece in their bedrooms and they have heat pads also the girls have a quilt over the top of their hutch and the boys have curtains that are fleece lined. They are lovely and warm. :smitten: :smitten:

Heats pads are from Pets at Home £18.00 not sure if ebay will do them cheaper. They are called Snugglesafe heat pads. Will have a look.

sokel said:
I use deep hay for all of mine,you could get a small cardboard box that fits inside the sleeping end and fill that with hay the cardboard helps with insulation.they also have fun chewing the box up
I always thought I went a bit crazy with the hay cause I literally stuff the sleepign compartment with hay and on particularly cld nights I stuff the rest of the hutch too
I did read that cardboard tip somewhere else on the site and I tried but all the boxes we have are too big so I'll just have to wait until we get a smaller box

Jane said:
Hmm..maybe a sleeping bad over the front of the hutch and on top too could help keep some heat in? Maybe some shredded paper inside mixed with the hay could help? I don't know I just thought I'd offer some suggestions :) How about a box or a house in there too filled with something warm?

I might try a sleeping bag but I'm not too sure my family will like me nicking a sleeping bag and leaving it outside

the wine boxes from supermarkets fit perfect in my sleeping ends

Racheylcg said:
sokel said:
I always thought I went a bit crazy with the hay cause I literally stuff the sleepign compartment with hay and on particularly cld nights I stuff the rest of the hutch too
I did read that cardboard tip somewhere else on the site and I tried but all the boxes we have are too big so I'll just have to wait until we get a smaller box

Jane said:

I might try a sleeping bag but I'm not too sure my family will like me nicking a sleeping bag and leaving it outside

What i do for boxes is when i go shopping i look on the shelves you can pick up spare boxes even though Murphy is inside he likes to sleep in a box i get the ones that have had biscuits Foxes biscuits do a good box lol they are a good size but not too big so they should fit in the bedroom part.

i heard straw wasn't meant to be good for the piggies because i hurts there eyes, is that even true, hay is ok but they eat it lol ;D so it is gone soon lol i keep mine out side all year (well this is my first winter) I'm gonna try cardboard boxes i think thay will be ok because they have a large bush/tree covering them from rain and a conservitory covering them from alot of the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back