Warm Piggies Being Stubborn

Disaidra

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got a pair of sows two weeks ago, and they've settled pretty well but they still do a lot of hiding. They only really come out to eat, and then go back to hiding, unless it's night time. The weather has suddenly gone warm again and I'm wondering how to keep them cool since most if the suggestions rely on the piggies being at least a little more inclined to explore. They initially were spending all their time in a snuggle sack, which I had to remove since it was getting drenched in pee. They're now in a plastic hidey which is a little cooler, but is probably still getting hot. Their cage is indoors so at least there isn't a problem with sun.

I've been refreshing their water bottle but they don't really drink from it anyway. I've been giving cool wet veggies like lettuce and cucumber but they eat some then get bored of it and leave a lot. They have a frozen bottle wrapped in a towel atm, and Ruby had a little sniff but has decided she'd rather go back to bed. I've moved it so it's against one side of the hidey so there is at least a cool side if they want it without having to go outside.

It's currently 26°c by the cage, with the windows open. Should I just trust that they know what they need and will come out if they get too hot, or should I be actively encouraging them to come out? Is it worth putting a wet towel over the hidey? I know putting one over a log bridge can help but I'm not sure if it will have the same effect with plastic. I'm a paranoid piggy mommy at the moment :(

I have a pig who likes to find the sweatiest, warm place to lie in when it's warm so I have to do my best to keep the room cool..

Have a fan circulating what cool air there is.

The best thing is preventing the room getting too warm. So invest in a thermometer and do what you can to keep the room cooler.

I used to have quite a problem with the pig room but I've found a way to limit it to a max of 24 degrees.

On a warm day close the windows and curtains to keep out the heat. Surprising but it works. On a night open the curtains and windows to let in the cooler air to cool the room ready for the next day.

If you have a room in your house that doesn't get too warm you can open the window in that one and leave the doors open to try have the air come into the warmer rooms.

A bit of heat advice - if it is hotter outside than it is inside, keep the windows closed and then open them at night when it is colder outside. Also if the room really heats up still, drawing the curtains closed also prevents heat getting in the room

Try and keep the air moving! Warm damp air espceatly still air can be a breading ground for bactera

Back