Warm Enough to be Outside?

Storm1974

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We really want to put our boys in their run today, but again it's not going to be that warm, although it's supposed to be sunny. The temps are going to be 15 (feels like 12) by 11am and then getting up to 18c (feels like 15) by 3pm, is that too cold?

We will be going out at some point today, so if we put them out by 11 (When it only feels like 12) is that a bad idea?

I have read a couple of times that it should be a minimum of consistently 15c for them to be outside and our back garden isn't that sheltered from the Northerly winds (which we're currently getting, up to 21mph today) either.

Also, regarding the run - because Bramble and Herbert can't live together, we had to separate the run in the middle to put them both in either end, so they have quite a lot less space than their cages, is that an issue? We're getting another run next week so they can have one each, but haven't been able to afford to yet, so on the few times they've been outside, they haven't had that much space each. So, should we wait until we get the other run so they have a lot more room?

I don't think the weather's going to be as sunny and dry next week, so it only looks like they can go outside this weekend. 😟

The guide for indoor piggies going outside is if you can stand outside directly on the grass without wearing a jumper and with bare feet without feeling cold or damp then the piggies are probably ok. They aren’t likely to be keen on any wind though and with not much protection from chilly winds I’d think I’d be inclined to keep them indoors or at least not look to put them out until and if it’s warmer this afternoon
It’s going to be 20 degrees here with sunny spells but I still won’t put mine (live in my shed so are used to outdoor temperatures) out if the grass feels cold/damp with the bare foot test.

Are they used to being on grass? If not then they can only be out for 5-10 minutes anyway as too much grass on unprepared tummies can cause problems.

The size of the split run for a short period outside isn’t too much of an issue unless it makes it absolutely tiny, it just means they aren’t going to be able to run around and use it as exercise.

Mine have barely been out yet this season - I think we’ve managed it only twice due to being cold and/or damp. Normally by now they’d have been out pretty much everyday for a couple of months already!

I wouldn't put them out today, it's been cold lately and the ground hasn't warmed up yet.
It's warm here when the sun comes out but it keeps clouding over. My boys have hardly been out this year (4 times I think), being on clay soil the stop start of the dry weather means the ground hasn't dried out or warmed up well. I'm really hoping the weather improves soon, I love having them outside with me when I'm gardening.

Back