Wanting to be near a bully?

teatime

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Potentially stupid question, but my more submissive piggy always wants to be with his buddy who - at the moment - is reasserting his dominance and generally being a bit of a bully because we just moved. I know piggies aren’t humans so we can’t expect them to react like we would… but why does he immediately want to be back together after they’ve just been fighting? Is this just… normal behaviour for piggies??

No such thing as a silly question.

Being dominant is not bullying and it isn’t fighting. If you are just seeing dominance (chasing, mounting, rumbling) then them wanting to be together is totally normal - their bond is functioning perfectly fine and they like each other.

If there are actual fights are occurring ie injuries being caused by them getting into rolling around furball altercations; Or if bullying, which is a sustained set of behaviours which will see the submissive piggy losing weight due to being chased away from food and not being allowed to eat, becoming withdrawn and hiding a lot, incessant mounting and chasing so submissive can’t sleep, then their bond is immediately over and they need to be separated permanently. This does not sound to be what is going on in your case though

Potentially stupid question, but my more submissive piggy always wants to be with his buddy who - at the moment - is reasserting his dominance and generally being a bit of a bully because we just moved. I know piggies aren’t humans so we can’t expect them to react like we would… but why does he immediately want to be back together after they’ve just been fighting? Is this just… normal behaviour for piggies?

Hi and welcome

Dominance behaviour is an integral part of hierarchical group and territorial re-establishment; it is not bullying at all. There is a clear difference in it for guinea pigs in that there is no grudge factor in it. It is our human idea of political correctness that is getting in the way. The more dominant piggy is simply reaffirming their position as the leader; usually the more strongly the more insecure they are.

In your case, it is the change of surroundings and the need to re-establish their territorial hierarchical group in their environment. It is part of the process of making themselves at home and has no bearing on how they actually feel about each other. They are basically currently working through the paperwork that comes with setting up shop if you would like a human equivalent. But they do it as a team with the boss taking charge.

Most owners are not aware that their guinea pigs are territorial as well as social animals.

This link here does explain it: Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

Hello and welcome. I have a pair of youngish boars. Some of the behaviour they display can look awful to us, even more so if the underpig is particularly loud and dramatic (yes Master Boris I am looking at you!).
The advice given is excellent and reading through the guides has stopped me separating them unnecessarily. They still have their moments but in general their bond is strong. I know it's difficult but try to focus on the positive signs that their relationship is good.

Back