Want To Get Two Pigs, Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsiman

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So this will be my first time having two guinea pigs at once. I've had two others but at separate times. I'm wondering what is recommended.

1. Space. Right now I have two cages, I believe they are both 3x2 feet, they were used for my last two pigs. I've read some of the sticky threads on this forum already and it seems that they are usually kept in the same cage so they can bond. Would that be enough space though, or should I look into getting something bigger? Problem is, it will be tough making room for a large cage in my small-roomed house.

2. The other big question I have is, what genders should I get? Both of the other piggies I had were males, but as I said they didn't live together. The thing is, most of the day they would be alone together. Everyone in my family has either work or school so on weekdays they would be on their own almost all day. Would that be okay, or do they need more consistent supervision? Is there a certain age I should get them at? And also should I get them at the same time, so that they're both introduced to the new environment at the same time? Or should I get one, let that one adjust, and then get another.

So this will be my first time having two guinea pigs at once. I've had two others but at separate times. I'm wondering what is recommended.

1. Space. Right now I have two cages, I believe they are both 3x2 feet, they were used for my last two pigs. I've read some of the sticky threads on this forum already and it seems that they are usually kept in the same cage so they can bond. Would that be enough space though, or should I look into getting something bigger? Problem is, it will be tough making room for a large cage in my small-roomed house.

2. The other big question I have is, what genders should I get? Both of the other piggies I had were males, but as I said they didn't live together. The thing is, most of the day they would be alone together. Everyone in my family has either work or school so on weekdays they would be on their own almost all day. Would that be okay, or do they need more consistent supervision? Is there a certain age I should get them at? And also should I get them at the same time, so that they're both introduced to the new environment at the same time? Or should I get one, let that one adjust, and then get another.

Hi and welcome

Could you please add your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can give you recommendations that are respect your local possibilities, especially access to a good, piggy savvy rescue with mandatory quarantine. Depending on where you can source your guinea pigs from, you might want to go for different options to make sure that you end up with a stable pair, as much as possible.
Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Here are our space recommendations, which comply with animal welfare minimal recommendations in English speaking countries: Cage Size Guide

Hi and welcome

Could you please add your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can give you recommendations that are respect your local possibilities, especially access to a good, piggy savvy rescue with mandatory quarantine. Depending on where you can source your guinea pigs from, you might want to go for different options to make sure that you end up with a stable pair, as much as possible.
Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!
Done, thanks :)

The closest recommended guinea pig rescue I have found listed on Guinea Lynx is in the wider Chicago area: CatNap From The Heart
This recommended rescue here is in South Chicago: Critter Corral
The advantage of rehoming from a recommended rescue is that is they have been carefully canvassed as to their care while in rescue and care with placement, so you have got the guarantee of only rehoming well bonded, stable, healthy and properly sexed guinea pigs and you have the support of the rescue for the duration of your piggies' lives. By rehoming an already bonded pair, whether that is two boars, two sows or a mixed gender pair (at least one of the piggies is neutered in that case), you won't have to worry about your new piggies not getting on and you can neatly avoid all the usual pitfalls that await the unwary. It may be worth enquiring if you can get there. There is sadly no rescue in your state that is recommended and can be guaranteed for. Going for an adult boar pair, you also do not have to worry so much about fall-outs, as they are past the big hormones and the piggies should be used to handling.

Getting shop babies means that they are not personality matched and will go through the teenage hormones together, so there is a noticeably higher risk of fall-outs during that time. More pairs make it together than not, but it is always an anxious time, especially if you are somewhat short on space. We do not recommend to get single piggies; guinea pigs are not wired to be on their own.
With sow babies, there is not so much a risk of fall-outs but one of pregnancy if the guinea pigs have not been strictly separated from any boars over 3 weeks old either through carelessness, ignorance or mis-sexing.

You can try petfinder for local rescues, but they are usually not piggy savvy. Most (euthanising) shelters will not provide medical care, so it can be a rather steep and expensive learning curve. The same goes for free-ads piggies. It is amazing how economic some people can be with the truth when they want to get rid of a pet! In these cases, the risks are all on your side. You can be lucky (and some US members have been), but you may not (and we have had those, too).

If you want to consider the various pros and cons of the possible combinations of guinea pigs, you may find this guide here helpful:
Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?
Companionship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back