Wannabe Guinea Pig Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bexyb

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to the forum so hi! I'm just looking and asking for advice of owning/preparing for them, making sure I do my research before taking the big step!
I currently have 1 dog 1 cat and have space in my huge garden for some lovely new additions, so far all I really know is that they are better in pairs which is fine
I'm worried about my dog barking scaring and my cat sitting on the cage, grooming and cleaning there cage doesn't phase me so that I'm not worried about, I have seen them in small cages but advise on this also would be good I would want to give them a large home.........also adoption over babies, I really would want to give a fur baby a new start and resue is this a good idea with kids?
Thank you in advance

Hi all

I'm new to the forum so hi! I'm just looking and asking for advice of owning/preparing for them, making sure I do my research before taking the big step!
I currently have 1 dog 1 cat and have space in my huge garden for some lovely new additions, so far all I really know is that they are better in pairs which is fine
I'm worried about my dog barking scaring and my cat sitting on the cage, grooming and cleaning there cage doesn't phase me so that I'm not worried about, I have seen them in small cages but advise on this also would be good I would want to give them a large home.........also adoption over babies, I really would want to give a fur baby a new start and resue is this a good idea with kids?
Thank you in advance

Hi and welcome!

It is great for you to do your research beforehand!

You may find our information thread bundle for Wannabe owners helpful, as it addresses a range of topics most asked for by or most urgently in need to be considered by new owners.
It includes links to recommended good standard rescues with mandatory quarantine/vet care, pregnancy watch, careful boar bonding and matching up owners with suitable piggies, so they are by far the best and safest place for any new owners to have a good start. Incidentally, you also free up spaces for more guinea pigs to get their chance at safety and a happy second life. Our forum recommendations tally with or surpass minimal welfare recommendations, so you should pass any rehoming criteria.
Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners

If you have got dogs and cats, please keep the guinea pigs away from barking dogs, ideally in a different room. They are prey animals and feel stressed by constant close-by barking. It can also be an important point for a rescue to raise as sadly fatal incidents with unsupervised dogs happen. We have got a number of member that have also got dogs; they may be able to advise you more closely.
Please also be aware that eating fresh dog pee on grass can kill a guinea pig, so you would have to fence off an area of your lawn to make sure that it is safe to be used by guinea pigs.

It is also best to choose a cage that a cat can't get into if you have got one with a hunting instinct.

Since we have got members and requests from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/provice or UK county so we can always tailor any advice to what is really available in terms of brands and doable in terms of rescue access instead of having to keep it general. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

:wel:Hello and welcome. It's excellent that you are doing your research. Wiebke has given you some great advice about keeping piggies and other pets. We have plenty of information on the forum so please feel free to ask any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back